Mary Cox

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2003
      My latest treasure, the page inscribed to Mary Cox and fastened into
      a 1st edition of Mostly California, was found "many years ago" at an
      estate sale in California where a number of other items belonging to
      Mary were being sold. This much I know from the eBay seller from
      whom I purchased the book.

      I tried to scan the page but the result is blurry and very difficult
      to read, so here is an exact transcription of the typed message:

      Nov.4, 1948.

      Aloha, Mary Cox;
      Thanks for your friendly greeting. Sorry to
      miss you. I was sent thru San francisco and Oakland
      like a singed cat out of a burning barn.
      This gummed-edge sheet will serve as an auto-
      graph for your book. Lick and stick in the book, may
      need an extra bit of glue.
      I'm inclosing a puicture in lieu of a
      letter (the Chinese say one picture is worth
      a thousand words). It is of me in my favorite
      hide-away among the great earth-god sequoia
      trees of Sequoia National Park in the high
      Sierra peaks. Grand place.
      Hope all's well and happy with you.

      Happy days, in fact, happy always,

      Aloha,

      [signature]

      Aloha
      Don Blanding [goofus bird]
      November 6, 1948

      The page duplicates the red-with-white-flowers front end page of the
      book but is cut about 1/8" shorter. The second paragraph is in
      lighter typescript than the first, as if the ribbon were worn. The
      signature is in dark blue ink; I'll upload a scan of the signature
      block. At the upper right corner of the page an imprint of a paper
      clip shows where the photo once was fastened.

      Note that the inscription was signed one day before DB's 54th
      birthday. Wonder where he was at that point in his book-signing
      tour....

      More DB artifacts are coming, including a real photo postcard sent by
      DB from Taos, NM, in May 1936 and a promotional brochure whose photo
      is of DB and his Scotty dog.

      ~~Cadia
    • kenneth klein
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2003
        Do you, by any chance, remember where and when that estate sale was? Just before Mary Cox died, she asked me to be the executor of her will, which was hastily drawn up in the hospital. It was not well witnessed and, so, invalidated before I was able to make much headway in organizing her apartment full of stuff. I asked the Probate people to notify when the things came up for public auction, but they never did. As I mentioned before, Mary had what looked to be decades-worth of records of the Chaparrel Poets in her closet and I felt the loss of those files the most.

        --Ken Klein