Moonstone rings

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2003
      Hi all. We just returned back from a three-week jaunt to South
      Africa, and I see you have an interesting thread going.

      In December I received the following email:

      My name is Judi (Nottleson) Woodard. Grace Nottleson Callahan was
      my father's sister, and close friend to Edythe H.G. We had my Aunt
      Grace, Edythe, and Don Blanding in our home one Christmas when I was
      a child. I remember him being a large, tall man. Edythe was also
      tall and very striking. Edythe and my Aunt shared Edythe's home in
      their latter days.

      Edythe died first and left her estate to my Aunt. When my Aunt died,
      my twin brother and I inherited her estate, along with what Edythe
      had left her. All of the jewelry was left to me--the rest was split
      50/50 with my brother. Among the jewelry was a moon stone ring
      (very beautiful and unique--one of a kind I'm told) that Don Blanding
      had specially designed for Edythe. With the ring is a tiny little
      note written by Don Blanding to Edythe. I have the ring and note in
      a safety deposit box for safe keeping.

      My Aunt shard with me when I became an adult that Edythe and Don
      Blanding were more than just working partners. They were
      romantically involved. Don adored her and among many gifts he gave
      her was this ring. It's set in 18 kt gold with gorgeous detailing
      around the large, oval shaped moon stone (from Hawaii). I've had
      several jewelers look at it and they all tell me it's priceless and
      probably one of a kind. I had a photo of Don Blanding wearing one
      that matched it, and also a photo of Edythe wearing the one I now
      have. Many of Don Blanding's things were sold to a gentleman who
      wanted to place them into a Don Blanding museum in Oklahoma (I can't
      remember the city).

      I have one box of his things that I kept, but it's stored somewhere
      in my garage. It would be a monumental task to find the box, but
      perhaps one day my husband and I will spend some time looking for
      it. I really regret getting rid of all the things we had. I had the
      shirts he wore in Hawaii, romantic letters he wrote to Edythe, and
      tons of photos--some of him with movie stars, some of him with
      Edythe, and lots of photos of Don Blanding himself.

      We still don't know where Don's moonstone ring is, but at least we
      have more to go on now....Keith
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2003
        This is really interesting, Keith! My mind boggles at the tiny details
        that reveal themselves...this has been a fruitful last couple of months for
        you and tj! I do follow all this stuff; have nothing to add myself as I
        told tj yesterday; I've been involved in a study of Kit Carson/John
        Fremont - their long association and all the interesting characters they
        knew and/or hired to go along on their explorations and expeditions as
        Indian fighters, artists, navigators, fellow adventurers, those with other
        knowledge to help the various expeditions...and so on. I'm finding that
        many of these men had homes scattered all about the West and many near my
        home here and even more astonishing, ranches and adobes all around my home
        in the mountains north of here.
        To my great dismay I read about an adobe built by one of Kit's closest
        friends and a worthy member of many of the expeditions, who owned
        surrounding ranchland only a short hop down the hills in the Frazier Park
        area from my other house. I immediately set out to find it. The local
        little Ridge Route historical society said there was even a remnant of the
        original adobe ranch house from around 1850 and after a good deal of
        research I found the property had just been purchased by someone with NO
        knowledge of local history, California history and zero interest in same who
        had, only 2 weeks before, brought in a bulldozer and leveled what was left
        of the adobe ranch house! I was ripping my hair out.

        Even the Historical Society had no foreknowledge and they were all in a
        age - but that's the history of California. Not much you can do about
        private property if steps aren't taken legally to declare something a
        historical treasure and that is tough to do with the prevailing philosophy
        about the primacy of "private property". I digress as usual.

        At any rate, I will be looking forward to reading your book someday and I
        can see you are going to have a lot of tidbits not revealed on the Blanding
        website, which is good thinking. Don't want to show your hand on all the
        goodies, otherwise there will be no surprises in the book! Nice of you to
        answer Pam...I told tj that reading her letter took me back to my
        "estate-saleing" days in the early '70s when my sister and I went out early
        every Saturday morning to all the estate sales in the Hollywood Hills. In
        those days, the little old ladies from the roaring '20s were dying like
        flies and the Hollywood Hills have always been full of eccentrics (just like
        in the Blanding days) and their houses were chock-a-block with interesting
        things. We'd be joined by many other estate sale addicts, all with
        cardboard boxes under our arms and when the doors were opened we were like
        ants at a picnic. My sister and I agreed that nothing has ever stirred our
        adrenaline like those estate sales up until eBay! :o)

        So many people who were selling off their old family member's things had NO
        idea of the worth of much of it and were all sweet and naive like
        Pam....like many of the eBay sellers say, "I am not a doll person"....or
        whatever, and offer some item that's worth hundreds for $9.99. So much the
        better for us collectors but sad that people don't take the time to do their
        homework before tossing old items like Pam did.

        NOTHING escapes in my family as I have told you we are generations of
        collectors and know fine things, either by value or by history but I could
        type pages about friends of mine who have tossed really valuable things in
        the trash barrels or given them away to charities....all through total
        ignorance and they get REALLY annoyed when you remonstrate with them. I
        suppose it's due to laziness as who doesn't want money or the realization of
        the intrinsic value of family things? At any rate, what sadness I feel at
        what was lost via Pam but also joy at knowing she has things that are going
        to bring a lot of pleasure to you, tj and the others who are genuinely
        working on this interesting trail.

        Well, shut up Karen....breakfast is in order - it's raining here and I've
        got a little fire in the fireplace and tons of work to do. Gotta get with
        the program! Hugs to the little sweetie , Karen

        ----- Original Message ----- e

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2003
          Karen....

          From her note, Pam (Jeanne Wright's great-grandaughter) seems to have
          a great appreciation for the items handed down to her and wants to
          learn more. You refer, I think, to Judi, a niece of Grace Callahan,
          whose family sold or donated many Blanding artifacts to the Museum of
          the Great Plains in Lawton, Oklahoma. For that, we can all be
          grateful!

          Of course, as we know, DB himself gave away many of his belongings as
          he vagabonded through life. In a way, I'm glad he did; otherwise
          everything might have ended up in a museum vault to which we would
          not have access -- or the joy of the treasure hunt in which we now
          find ourselves.

          I share your dismay at the loss of the adobe dwelling. Perhaps only
          a tiny remnant of California's history, but precious nonetheless.