info

  • sacyfcmoms
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2003
      Hi - I am new to this board. The reason I joined it is that my
      grandmother just passed away and I have a bunch of her stuff that
      belonged to her mother and much of it seems to be connected to Don
      Blanding (books, pics, articles, etc). My great grandmother was a
      designer (her name was Jeanne Wright) who apparently worked with Don
      Blanding in putting some of his designs to apparel. That's about all
      I know. I'd love to know if anyone knows more - if there is more -
      about their connection.

      I hardly knew my great grandmother but I am really interested in
      family history things. I have been receiving all of your emails for
      a while now and I have learned a couple of things. I have a couple
      of books of Don Blandings in the stuff I received but I also have a
      couple of Edythe Hope Genee books. Could anyone tell me what their
      (Genee & Blanding's) connection was? Do you know if she had any
      connection to my great grandmother? The Genee books are inscribed to
      my grandmother (Jeanne's daughter).

      You all seem like very knowledgeable and friendly people so I just
      thought I'd take a chance and ask. Any info or direction toward info
      would be great!
      Thanks so much,
      Pam
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2003
        Welcome Pam,

        I have an interesting article written about your great grandmother by
        Jean "Babe" London. It contains a very descriptive biography of her.

        I can send you a copy if you'd like. The article is about Jeanne and
        Don's collaboration on his first fabric design, Windy Willie and
        Calico Ann. There's a photo of them sitting together under a palm
        tree with the designs.

        Keith
      • tlady1654@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2003
          Keith - Thanks so much for responding. I would LOVE to have a copy of that
          article. I have several orginal photographs with my great grandmother and
          Don Blanding, the designs, etc - I wonder if the photo in the article is one
          of those. That would be really fun. Most of the photos I have no idea
          what/who they are! My mom was going to toss them but I intervened because
          I'd really like to learn more about them. Is there a way I can just contact
          you directly so that I don't have to leave all my personal info on the
          internet. I really appreciate your help!
          Pam
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2003
            Hello, Pam...

            Welcome! Within the group's website is a Members list -- through
            which you may contact any member individually just by clicking on an
            e-mail address. Even if the address is not fully visible, the
            message will go through.

            However, I would like to encourage members to share relevant
            information with the group. Each little tidbit helps in our
            collective research!

            You are certainly welcome to scan and upload photos to the group
            website, too, as long as the size and scale are reasonable. The
            Files section is filling up rapidly so Photos might be a better
            choice if you are not sure where a photo belongs. In either case,
            images should be less than 75 KB.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2003
              Sorry, but I lost the drift of this conversation. Pam who was your
              grandmother? Keith is Jean London a relative of Jack London?

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 15, 2003
                Bev,

                Pam's great grandmother was Jeanne Wright, who co-designed Don
                Blanding's first aloha apparel. Jean "Babe" London was a good friend
                of Don's. She was a silent screen comedian, and later, Honolulu
                columnist. Her papers were left with the University of Wyoming. she
                has no direct link to Jack London.

                Keith