Moonstone ring of DB's

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11 8:51 AM
      tj ran across an old moonstone ring such as DB wore. I'm getting info on it now. A stretch for sure but who knows...Does anyone know anything about his jewelery and what happened to it when he passed? Ring size??? Ring markings? I suspect that Edithe Hope Genee' may have ended up with it all but then??? Wouldn't it be a hoot to find that famous ring!!! tj
    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11 9:23 AM
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11 9:54 AM
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11 10:35 AM
            When Edythe passed away, I believe many of her belongings were distributed to some of her close friends: Grace Callahan, Mary Cox. My father received (bought? I don't remember that well) several pieces of furniture. In her last couple of years, Mary Cox began to give away many of her accumulated things, which is how my father came to acquire a number of Blanding prints. Mary gave my mother a number of pieces of jewelry, but I doubt there were any man-sized rings included. I was briefly executor of Mary's estate, before the state invalidated the will and took over. Quantities of jewelry, knick knacks, books, and--most annoying from an historical point of view--the records of the Chaparrel Poets were taken by the state and probably auctioned off several years later.

            On the slim chance that the Blanding moonstone ring made its way into my mother's possession, how would we identify it? Is there any close-up photo or detailed description of it?

            --Ken Klein

          • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11 11:49 AM
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11 8:13 PM
                The large, square ring that DB wore is lapis lazuli. It bears the
                image of a centaur; I can't recall if it is carved or a raised
                design (but I think carved). There's a reference to the ring in
                Mildred Maloney's thesis; will try to locate the info this weekend.

                But I am much more interested in Mary Cox!

                Kenneth, could you tell us more about her connection to DB? As it
                happens, this week I received a copy of "Mostly California" into
                which has been glued a secondary front end page inscribed to Mary
                Cox. The typed message is dated November 4, 1948, but the signature
                carries a date of November 6. The inscription refers to a photo of
                DB that was attached to the separate page. Alas, the photo is no
                longer attached, but the imprint of the paper clip is still visible.

                I'll scan and/or transcribe the page when I get a chance this weekend.

                ~~Cadia
              • kenneth klein
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 12 5:43 PM
                  Well, Mary never spoke to me about Don Blanding, but it's clear he and she were well acquainted. I have a photo album of hers that has mostly photos of trips she took to such places as Morro Bay, mountain resorts, Monterey, San Francisco, and Mexico. Interspersed are personal photos, mostly of Mary and people I never knew. Two feature Don Blanding: one of him standing in his studio, surrounded by bookshelves and drawings/prints of his on the wall; the second (several pages later) has him standing beside a lake, feeding a bunch of ducks. In the front of the album there are some loose items: her marriage certificate and a photo of her with (I guess) her husband, a photo of Edythe Hope Genee, and four loose photos of Blanding, all signed and two of them addressed to her ("M.E.C"). And one of these two is dated April 3, 1945.

                  As well, I have several Blanding prints signed "To Mary."

                  My assumption is that Mary knew Edythe and Blanding through her involvement in the Chaparrel Poets, and that is how my father came to know her. He (my father) and Edythe were co-editors of the Hollywood High Evening School newspaper for a time, before the war. Some 20 years later, as editor of The American Bard, Edythe contracted with my father to print the magazine, and this introduced him to a whole group of poets and printing their books formed a good part of his business for the rest of his working life. Some, such as Mary Cox, became close family friends. I wish I could tell you more, and I'll bet there is much more that is knowable. It all takes digging...

                  --Ken Klein