A Question of Stoddards ???

  • Jeff Hudelson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2003
      Greetings,

      Okay, this is a really wild conjecture . . . .

      One of the Monterey Peninsula's early literary lights was Charles
      Warren Stoddard (1843-1909), a poet and traveller who wrote much of the
      "South Seas" including Hawaii.

      Now I don't know if there's a chance that DB looked for more works
      by J. L. Stoddard and found C. W. Stoddard's books, but there is a
      possibility . . . and connections to travel, poetry, Hawaii and the Carmel
      area. Does anyone know if Blanding had any connections to Charles Stoddard?

      By the way, does anyone know if the two Stoddards are related?

      Jeff

      From: "tjmarkle2003" <tjmarkle@...>
      Subject: Stoddard Lectures

      We have information that as a chile, DB's mom gave him the Stoddard
      Lecture series to read and that it supposedly influenced him to become the
      vagabond he was. Stoddard certainly was a globe trotter himself, having
      traveled all over the world and writing books on what he saw. Very different
      from DB however.
      Well, I stumbled across the entire collection (10 volumes and 3
      supplemental volumes) for a small price and bought them. I'm thumbing
      through them now, just browsing, seeing what DB saw and what might have
      influenced him.
      I hadn't seen one before and they are quite interesting reading, having
      been published in 1898. Lots of the old tin type pictures and history of
      important countries and cities of the world. There is some poetry scattered in
      each volume (I've thumbed through 3 so far) but I can't determine if Stoddard
      was the poet or if he included other poets work in his books. If I come across
      anything interesting I'll email the info.
      Thought you all might like to know all of this! tj

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2003
        Hello, Jeff!

        I don't know if there's any connection between the Stoddards, but
        what a coincidence. Voracious reader that he was, Blanding may well
        have encountered the Monterey area Stoddard's work, either as a boy
        or later in life. Do we know why DB settled in Carmel in the first
        place?

        By the way, you are certainly welcome to join our group so that you
        can view the remainder of the website.