Stoddard Lectures

  • tjmarkle2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2003
      We have information that as a chile, DB's mom gave him the Stoddard
      Lecture series to read and that it supposedly influenced him to become the
      vagabond he was. Stoddard certainly was a globe trotter himself, having
      traveled all over the world and writing books on what he saw. Very different
      from DB however.
      Well, I stumbled across the entire collection (10 volumes and 3
      supplemental volumes) for a small price and bought them. I'm thumbing
      through them now, just browsing, seeing what DB saw and what might have
      influenced him.
      I hadn't seen one before and they are quite interesting reading, having
      been published in 1898. Lots of the old tin type pictures and history of
      important countries and cities of the world. There is some poetry scattered in
      each volume (I've thumbed through 3 so far) but I can't determine if Stoddard
      was the poet or if he included other poets work in his books. If I come across
      anything interesting I'll email the info.
      Thought you all might like to know all of this! tj