Racism

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2003
      In all my research on Blanding and having each and every one of his books, I never saw him as racist. Indeed, I always believed he revered the differences in people and their respective cultures. I always thought he tried to honor our differences as people. He was inspired by other cultures. I always saw him as a frustrated anthropologist or sociologist.
      I have had this converstation before with his portrayal of the Black culture, especially as portrayed in Floridays. I think with todays mores, some of his material would not be published but that is not to say he is racist as judged by todays standards. This would never have been DB's intent. I have always felt he truely appreciated individual differences. tj