Re: [aloha-donblanding] "Somehow"

  • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      TKS asks
      >>My mother recently died and she wanted to have the poem "Somehow" read at
      her memorial service. Can anyone provide me that poem?<<

      poem by Emily Dickinson:
      http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/emilydickinson/1194.shtml

      possibly
      http://skyways.lib.ks.us/poetry/somehow.html

      Bob Richmond
      Knoxville TN
    • Dorothea Heil
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
        > My mother recently died and she wanted to have the poem "Somehow"
        > read at her memorial service. Can anyone provide me that poem?
        >
        > Tks

        I'm surprised at you folks, Surely your mother mustr have meant "Someday" by
        Don Blanding which appeared in "FLOWERS OF THE RAINBOW"

        Someday when Deah with callous careless hands
        Strikes from my grasp the lovely gift of life,
        Shatters the crystal....stills my hot demands
        For songs of color and the surge of strife,
        Chills my warm blood and numbs this flesh of mine,
        Stifles the laugh that answers death with mirth,
        Withers the lips that drink love's perfumed wine,
        Blurs the quick senses....renders all to earth,
        Then you, who are my friend, take what remains
        When scorching flames have had their cruel way
        And go to that high place where summer rains
        And moon-mists drift and lunar-rainbows play,
        There with a few gay ghosts of memories,
        Shadows of joys wenew, bid quick farewell
        And scatter my futile ashes on the breeze....
        The mountain thrushes' songs will be my knell.

        For this will be a restless dust of mine
        Seeking the places that I have loved and knew,
        Haunting fhe beaches' golden wave-kissed line,
        Searching the glades where ginger blossoms grew,
        Drifting along the trade- winds vagrant way,
        Riding the jade-green surf's onrushing crest,
        'Til on a fture lazy blessed day
        My tired spirit finds gray dreamless rest.

        My condolences to you my unknown friend and may your Mom rest in peace.
      • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
          Hi Dorothea Heil!

          Please check these lines in "Somehow":

          Shadows of joys wenew, bid quick farewell

          Seeking the places that I have loved and knew,

          Thanks!

          Bob Richmond
        • Dorothea Heil
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
            Sorry about the typo, The first line should read "Shadows of joys we knew,
            bid quick farewell"
            The other line is correct.

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
              Condolences on the loss of your mother.

              While there are several typos in the transcription of "Someday," I
              think Dorothea may have found an appropriate piece to read at the
              memorial service.

              Consider, too, that Don Blanding wrote two pieces titled "Somehow";
              one appears in Flowers of the Rainbow, p. 44, and clearly refers to
              living in Hawaii:

              Somehow here the moon is nearer,
              Warmer, brighter. Stars are clearer;
              Days of summer linger longer;
              Laughs are gayer; love is stronger;
              Sea is bluer; clouds are whiter;
              Music lilts to rhythms lighter;
              Mountain sides and valleys greener;
              Ocean breezes, fresher, cleaner,
              Fruits have richer, sweeter flavor;
              Zest of life has keener savor;

              Somehow welcome here is truer;
              Every morning sun is newer;
              Every sunset blazes brighter;
              Sorrow's weary burden slighter;
              People play with more abandon,
              Feet seem made to dance . . . not stand on.

              Really, these are facts I'm giving.
              Life down here seems more like living.

              The second "Somehow" appears in Pilot Bails Out, p. 35 and seems a
              likely candidate:

              I've tried for many an hour and minute
              To think of this world without me in it.
              I can't imagine a new-born day
              Without me here . . . somehow . . . some way.
              I cannot think of the autumn's flare
              Without me here . . . alive . . . aware.
              I can't imagine a dawn in spring
              Without my heart awakening.

              These treasured days will come and go
              At swifter pace . . . but this I know . . .
              I have no fear . . . I have no dread
              Of that marked day that lies ahead.
              My flesh will turn to ash and clay
              But I'll be here . . . somehow . . . some way.

              ~~C~~
            • BearShado@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
                I'm changing my e-mail address from BearShadO@... to
                bearshado@... but don't know quite how to make it happen in my
                Yahoogroups. Any help would be appreciated

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
                  Hello, BearShado!

                  Nice to hear from you again. To change information in your group
                  profile, log in to My Groups

                  or the group website

                  Near the top right of the screen, select Account Info; you'll
                  probably be asked to enter your password again. Under Member
                  Information, click "Edit." Enter your new e-mail address as the
                  Primary address and delete the old address. You can add two
                  alternate addresses if you wish. Click "Finished" when you are done.

                  Under Address/Contact Information you can also edit details such as
                  name, address, phone, etc. Personally, I just enter my name, city,
                  state and zip code.

                  While you're on the Yahoo ID Card screen, you can update or create a
                  public profile.

                  ~~Cadia
                • guttakh2003
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 7, 2003
                    Thank you so much for the verse. I am sure my mother was referring
                    to the one in Pilot Bails Out

                    Gary Ray

                    --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Cadia Los" <duchess@s...>