"Somehow"

  • guttakh2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
      My mother recently died and she wanted to have the poem "Somehow"
      read at her memorial service. Can anyone provide me that poem?

      Tks
    • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
        TKS asks
        >>My mother recently died and she wanted to have the poem "Somehow" read at
        her memorial service. Can anyone provide me that poem?<<

        poem by Emily Dickinson:
        http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/emilydickinson/1194.shtml

        possibly
        http://skyways.lib.ks.us/poetry/somehow.html

        Bob Richmond
        Knoxville TN
      • Dorothea Heil
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2003
          > My mother recently died and she wanted to have the poem "Somehow"
          > read at her memorial service. Can anyone provide me that poem?
          >
          > Tks

          I'm surprised at you folks, Surely your mother mustr have meant "Someday" by
          Don Blanding which appeared in "FLOWERS OF THE RAINBOW"

          Someday when Deah with callous careless hands
          Strikes from my grasp the lovely gift of life,
          Shatters the crystal....stills my hot demands
          For songs of color and the surge of strife,
          Chills my warm blood and numbs this flesh of mine,
          Stifles the laugh that answers death with mirth,
          Withers the lips that drink love's perfumed wine,
          Blurs the quick senses....renders all to earth,
          Then you, who are my friend, take what remains
          When scorching flames have had their cruel way
          And go to that high place where summer rains
          And moon-mists drift and lunar-rainbows play,
          There with a few gay ghosts of memories,
          Shadows of joys wenew, bid quick farewell
          And scatter my futile ashes on the breeze....
          The mountain thrushes' songs will be my knell.

          For this will be a restless dust of mine
          Seeking the places that I have loved and knew,
          Haunting fhe beaches' golden wave-kissed line,
          Searching the glades where ginger blossoms grew,
          Drifting along the trade- winds vagrant way,
          Riding the jade-green surf's onrushing crest,
          'Til on a fture lazy blessed day
          My tired spirit finds gray dreamless rest.

          My condolences to you my unknown friend and may your Mom rest in peace.
        • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
            Hi Dorothea Heil!

            Please check these lines in "Somehow":

            Shadows of joys wenew, bid quick farewell

            Seeking the places that I have loved and knew,

            Thanks!

            Bob Richmond
          • Dorothea Heil
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
              Sorry about the typo, The first line should read "Shadows of joys we knew,
              bid quick farewell"
              The other line is correct.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2003
                Condolences on the loss of your mother.

                While there are several typos in the transcription of "Someday," I
                think Dorothea may have found an appropriate piece to read at the
                memorial service.

                Consider, too, that Don Blanding wrote two pieces titled "Somehow";
                one appears in Flowers of the Rainbow, p. 44, and clearly refers to
                living in Hawaii:

                Somehow here the moon is nearer,
                Warmer, brighter. Stars are clearer;
                Days of summer linger longer;
                Laughs are gayer; love is stronger;
                Sea is bluer; clouds are whiter;
                Music lilts to rhythms lighter;
                Mountain sides and valleys greener;
                Ocean breezes, fresher, cleaner,
                Fruits have richer, sweeter flavor;
                Zest of life has keener savor;

                Somehow welcome here is truer;
                Every morning sun is newer;
                Every sunset blazes brighter;
                Sorrow's weary burden slighter;
                People play with more abandon,
                Feet seem made to dance . . . not stand on.

                Really, these are facts I'm giving.
                Life down here seems more like living.

                The second "Somehow" appears in Pilot Bails Out, p. 35 and seems a
                likely candidate:

                I've tried for many an hour and minute
                To think of this world without me in it.
                I can't imagine a new-born day
                Without me here . . . somehow . . . some way.
                I cannot think of the autumn's flare
                Without me here . . . alive . . . aware.
                I can't imagine a dawn in spring
                Without my heart awakening.

                These treasured days will come and go
                At swifter pace . . . but this I know . . .
                I have no fear . . . I have no dread
                Of that marked day that lies ahead.
                My flesh will turn to ash and clay
                But I'll be here . . . somehow . . . some way.

                ~~C~~
              • BearShado@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2003
                  I'm changing my e-mail address from BearShadO@... to
                  bearshado@... but don't know quite how to make it happen in my
                  Yahoogroups. Any help would be appreciated

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
                    Hello, BearShado!

                    Nice to hear from you again. To change information in your group
                    profile, log in to My Groups

                    or the group website

                    Near the top right of the screen, select Account Info; you'll
                    probably be asked to enter your password again. Under Member
                    Information, click "Edit." Enter your new e-mail address as the
                    Primary address and delete the old address. You can add two
                    alternate addresses if you wish. Click "Finished" when you are done.

                    Under Address/Contact Information you can also edit details such as
                    name, address, phone, etc. Personally, I just enter my name, city,
                    state and zip code.

                    While you're on the Yahoo ID Card screen, you can update or create a
                    public profile.

                    ~~Cadia
                  • guttakh2003
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 7, 2003
                      Thank you so much for the verse. I am sure my mother was referring
                      to the one in Pilot Bails Out

                      Gary Ray

                      --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Cadia Los" <duchess@s...>