Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Photo of Pink HF Vernon Sample Plate

  • Michael Pfeffer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2003
      Cadia,
      Thanks. After comparing a lot of my pieces I am convinced that the medium color is a distinct color and not just a poor transfer. My (albeit limited) understanding of the transfer process is that the only color variation would come during the printing process and not the actual placement of the transfer on the plate. I believe that there are three distinct shades (the bubble gum light pink, the medium pink and the maroon), although I have also seen a set and other pieces in what I consider to be a poor printing of the maroon transfer which is a bit browner than normal. At any rate, having the test plate does suggest that they were experimenting with different shades of pink for Hawaiian Flowers and that they may have used both of these in production. I also have the same three shades in coral reef, suggesting that they did the same for that pattern as well.

      One final thought, I now have six or eight plates and a pair of Salt and Pepper shakers in the Hilo brown color (with no tinting). The intriguing thing is that they are all back-stamped with the "Hawaiian Flowers" stamp, suggesting that this was a real brown Hawaiian Flowers transfer and not a set of uncolored Hilo. I know I have asked before, but it would be great to see any other pieces in this color if people have them.

      All the best,
      Michael