Re: Photo of Pink HF Vernon Sample Plate

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2003
      Bill...

      Michael has posted 2 photos to the group website, in the Photos
      section at

      One is in the "Wekeula" folder and the other is among the individual
      VK images.

      Michael...

      Very interesting plate -- I recall seeing it on eBay. Are there
      really 2 different rims? Coupe on the left, Ultra on the right?

      Some of the maroon Hawaiian Flowers plates (and other pieces) that
      I've seen do look faded, but definitely not the "bubblegum" shade of
      pink. I've always thought the lighter maroon color was just a bad
      transfer, in which the color was not saturated. This sample plate
      tends to support the idea of a maroon variation that was not
      successful. Or maybe VK was trying for 2 compatible shades that
      could be mixed?

      Thanks for providing the photos!

      ~~Cadia
    • Michael Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2003
        Cadia,
        Thanks. After comparing a lot of my pieces I am convinced that the medium color is a distinct color and not just a poor transfer. My (albeit limited) understanding of the transfer process is that the only color variation would come during the printing process and not the actual placement of the transfer on the plate. I believe that there are three distinct shades (the bubble gum light pink, the medium pink and the maroon), although I have also seen a set and other pieces in what I consider to be a poor printing of the maroon transfer which is a bit browner than normal. At any rate, having the test plate does suggest that they were experimenting with different shades of pink for Hawaiian Flowers and that they may have used both of these in production. I also have the same three shades in coral reef, suggesting that they did the same for that pattern as well.

        One final thought, I now have six or eight plates and a pair of Salt and Pepper shakers in the Hilo brown color (with no tinting). The intriguing thing is that they are all back-stamped with the "Hawaiian Flowers" stamp, suggesting that this was a real brown Hawaiian Flowers transfer and not a set of uncolored Hilo. I know I have asked before, but it would be great to see any other pieces in this color if people have them.

        All the best,
        Michael
        Michael has posted 2 photos to the group website, in the Photos
        section at

        One is in the "Wekeula" folder and the other is among the individual
        VK images.

        Michael...

        Very interesting plate -- I recall seeing it on eBay. Are there
        really 2 different rims? Coupe on the left, Ultra on the right?

        Some of the maroon Hawaiian Flowers plates (and other pieces) that
        I've seen do look faded, but definitely not the "bubblegum" shade of
        pink. I've always thought the lighter maroon color was just a bad
        transfer, in which the color was not saturated. This sample plate
        tends to support the idea of a maroon variation that was not
        successful. Or maybe VK was trying for 2 compatible shades that
        could be mixed?

        Thanks for providing the photos!

        ~~Cadia

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor