Esther Baldwin York

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2003
      I visited with Esther Baldwin York-Burkholder yesterday in her home in Los
      Angeles. What a delightful 92-year-old women. She still lives alone and
      takes 2 walks around the hilly neighborhood each day.

      She had many of Don’s books that he signed for her and she let me copy the
      signings. Don must have know her well, because he mentions her husband and
      daughter in a 1953 letter he sent from Ed Sawtelle’s in Hawaii on July 25th.
      Esther only remembers “Poopy Don” coming to her night school classes.
      However, as we talked she recalled going to his Ogden house for Chaparral
      group gatherings. Then she said they met at a restaurant on the way to
      Glendale that is still there but she couldn’t recall the name of it.

      She had some photos under glass on her desk that she let me copy. One of
      her in a hula skirt for a promotion at the Clifton Cafeteria and another of
      the Chaparral Group at Don’s Home. The photo from the Edythe Genee material
      at the Museum of the Great Plans is also of the Chaparral Group Gathering.
      Esther could not find herself in it or Val & Steffy. She did identify the
      lady next to Edythe as Helen Helming. Helen Helming is H.H. of the “Revisers”
      p129 MOSTLY CALIFORNIA. The “Revisers” was “our poetry group”, all members of
      Chaparral. H.H.J. is Helen Jensen.

      Esther and Ray Burkholder took the photo in Edythe’s collect at the Museum
      GP. The one I got yesterday of Don reading to the group has Esther and Ray
      standing in the background. Esther remembers all the faces in these photos
      but cannot remember their names. She recalled that the lady in the first seat
      on the left had some kind of spastic disorder, but she loved poetry, wrote
      poetry and was a very lovely lady. She (spastic lady) is also in Esther’s
      photo of Don’s home. It appears that both photos were taken on the same day.
      I will try to scan these photos and put them in our files for you all to see.

      I just called Esther, and she has already misplaced the photos and list of
      Revisers initials I left her yesterday. I will keep visiting with her and try
      to learn more about the Hollywood Night School Group.

      It appears that Don gave her the artwork for page 12 of Scarf of Stars,
      however Esther cannot remember anything about it. It no long hangs on her
      living room wall as it did in a photo I saw of it.