Blandingmobile

  • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 31, 2003
      tj will be in the Blandingmobile from Feb 1st to Feb 20th. The first 10 days will be in the Carmel/Monterey area sluething for more Blanding info from the locals and volunteering on the ATT Golf Tournament at Pebble Beach. I have run across another person that knew DB and will be interviewing him on this trip. I don't the the extent of the relationship but do know that this person is quite prominent in Carmel. this contact was developed out of the Carmel article most recently published....a good thing again....Hopefully, the info will be sufficient to enhance our knowledge of DB further. Then off to Santa Barbara to see our hard studying (ya sure) college Granddaughter. tj
    • tjmarkle@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 2, 2003
        Well, just got back from my 6 week Blandingmobile trip. I noticed that some of you didn't know what the Blandingmobile was. Well, Keith and I joked back and forth some years ago and we came up with that label for my 1992 29ft, Southwind motorhome. I travel in and at the time I was in the Carmel/Monterey area researching ole' DB. When you go on Keiths site and look at the thank you's, he lists my Blandingmobile. So, that's all it is.......This trip was futile for the most part. I went to most every antique shop and junk shop on my trip and most of the dealers hadn't even heard of DB. I only found one interesting item in Ashland Oregon but no big surprises for sure. Oh well, I had fun. I have 4 years of research in the Carmel Pine Cone to complete most of my Carmel/Monterey reviews. Then I can begin to collate my info into more concise form.
        Doesn't look like much activity on the net while I was gone. Too bad....tj
      • melinda young
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
          Hi!
          I am a new member of aloha-donblanding and have been a
          devoted fan since 1960. Do you have a photo of your
          Blandingmobile? It sounds like fun and would be most
          appreciated by old Don Himself.
          Melinda

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • missndn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 3, 2003
            Hi,

            I don't have any information to share except that I love Don Blanding's art
            and his poetry as I suppose you all do. What kind of company am I in, can you
            describe the type of people who like Blanding's works?

            MissNDN

          • melinda young
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
              Hi!
              I don't know about the others, but I love Don
              Blandings art and poetry because it evokes memories of
              time past and the lore of the tropics.The time before
              WWII when Hawaii was a simple paradise and the West
              Coast of the US was still a dreamm destination for so
              many. His art, original and romantic, was very
              indicative of his time,,,art deco etc. But his poetry
              is not unlike singing the blues or appreciating the
              wonders of the blue's music. Easily understood in
              plain English.What thinking person wouldn't want to
              have and live in the Vagabond House? To me he is often
              so blatently sentimental it's funny, but at others,
              it's wonderous because it makes you feel so bad that
              it makes you feel very good. His work is often the
              personification of the wishing and wanting of things
              that either might have been but never were or that
              were and you deeply regret. He is part of my love for
              Hawaii and the West Coast and his understanding of it
              which is timeless.

              At one time I had many of his poetry books but have
              lost them ....so if anyone has some or one for sale
              let me know.
              Holymola1

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                Check E-Bay

              • Helen Allen
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 4, 2003
                  I was lucky enough to be raised on singing around the piano (as my Mom
                  played piano and Dad played any instrument) and listening to my Dad read Don
                  Blanding poetry. Nine children and we all love his poetry and all seem to
                  think of the same lines from special poems at the same time. We also
                  listened to the old tape reel to reel of Don Blanding reading some of his
                  poems. What a wonderful legacy - I hope to pass it on to my children and
                  grandchildren.