Re: Bed/Breakfasts - Carmel area

  • Cadia Los <duchess@speakeasy.org>
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
      Good going, TJ!

      While you're at it, why not propose an annual Don Blanding Day in
      Carmel. Maybe his November 7 birthday or May 1 Lei Day?

      The 1927 S-B microfilms have yielded lots of wonderful stuff.
      Besides the Uncle Don bedtime stories (some published in the S-B),
      there's also an article by DB about his first airplane ride to catch
      a rainbow! He also wrote an extensive review of Clifford Gessler's
      book of poetry, "Kanaka Moon." (CG was the S-B's arts-literature
      editor; the book was illustrated by A.S. McLeod and published by
      Dodd, Mead.)

      As I read, I have no doubt that DB was mentored by a whole who's who
      of writers and artists in Honolulu. His style is unique and by 1927
      he was becoming very well known in Hawaii. "Flowers of the Rainbow"
      was heavily promoted as "the ideal steamer gift" and both Hawaii and
      California promoters were pushing Hawaii as a prime tourist
      destination. Even Alex McLeod and John Kelly -- both on the S-B
      staff -- did not get the newspaper ad space that DB did in 1926-1927!

      I need to read one more microfilm roll by January 8, then I'll find
      time to organize and transcribe.

      One of my New Year's resolutions is to transcribe the 1937 thesis
      about DB. It's only 85 pages; if I do 2 pages a day.... I tried
      OCR on a few pages -- all it does is scramble things and create
      typos! Easier to just sit and type.

      Then there's finishing the series of 1928 articles about Lei
      Day...and the 1953-1957 weekly columns. Just 1 or 2 articles a
      day....

      ~~Cadia
    • Michael T Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
        Cadia,
        Just a crazy thought, but I bet there are a bunch of us who would be willing to transcribe a few pages of the thesis if you copied pages and sent them to us. If we all pitched in and did a handful of pages it would be done pretty quickly and would free you up for other projects. Let me know what you think, I for one can type very quickly and would be happy to work on it.

        Aloha,
        Michael Pfeffer

        ps, no new finds this year, but I did see several Melinda dinner plates that had been stamped with the Leilani backstamp but which had not been colored in (making them similar to maroon HF). They had interesting underglaze writing on them, looked like samples or something, and were dated to August 1953. Couldnt get them as they were too expensive (even for me), but it was interesting to see them and the date of manufacture. . .
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2003
          I am proposing such special Blanding days in Carmel also. The Carmel
          Heritage Society has had a change in leadership this year but one of my best
          supporters went back on to the Board and will help promote with me. She met
          DB when she was 16 and loves him. The politics of the day will tell the tale
          on all of this stuff.
          AS OF 1/6/03 MY EMAIL IS WITH EARTHLINK. THIS EMAIL ADDRESS WILL BE
          DISCONTINUED ON MONDAY...........TJ
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2003
            tj would gladly help with this project. Being retired, I can do a lot and
            having shoulder surgery, I'm bored stiff, not being able to travel
            around...so, Cadia, email me, and I'll gladly help.........tj
          • Cadia Los <duchess@speakeasy.org>
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 7, 2003
              TJ...

              Following shoulder surgery, I'm not sure extensive typing is a good
              idea. But, since you have a copy of the thesis, if you want to start
              transcribing Chapter 2, let me know. (I'm already working on Chapter
              1.)

              Or why not some excerpts from the unpublished DB manuscript?

              You could transcribe and then e-mail a few pages at a time to me. I
              have a separate, unpublished e-mail address for such a purpose.
              (Confirm and I'll provide it.)

              As with the book reviews, I can then copy and paste into an HTML file
              and create a webpage for each manuscript.

              Aren't you also reading Carmel Pine Cone microfilm? If you find some
              short articles by or about Blanding, you could transcribe those
              directly into the folder in Files: Publications.

              ~~Cadia
            • Cadia Los <duchess@speakeasy.org>
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 7, 2003
                Michael P...

                At least a dozen people in this group have copies of the thesis. I
                guess you joined us after we distributed them. If you'd like to
                start on Chapter 3 (or Chapter 2 if TJ doesn't want it), then I'd be
                glad to send you some pages.

                Please e-mail me directly, with cc to TJ, and we'll get you set up.
                You're right, splitting the job does make it go faster -- thanks for
                the offer!

                ~~C~~
              • MauiBandB@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 10, 2003
                  Honolulu Editors who might pick up TJ's stories
                  Hi...Happy New Year.
                      Here are some suggestions:

                      HONOLULU magazine - John Heckathorn is the editor
                      Spirit of Aloha (Aloha Airlines in-flight) - Janice Otaguro is the editor
                      Hana Hou! (Hawaiian Airlines in-flight) - Derek Ferrar is the editor