Bed/Breakfasts - Carmel area

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
      tj has been contacted by a magazine that writes articles for the local
      B/B's in Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove. They are featuring the Vagabond
      House Inn in Carmel and want me to help include info on Don Blanding into
      their article. It is timely as the Friday edition of the Carmel Pine Cone
      will feature the story of Da Box found at the Vagabond House Inn, with
      photo's, etc.
      I'm hoping that other Inn's might contact me for additional information
      on Blanding. I am working my way into the basements of Carmel most historic
      Inn's! What treasures lie under the streets of Carmel, just waiting for me.
      Maui Tom, are there other magazines like this in Hawaii???? tj
    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
        TJ

        I think a great article angle might be the Inn's influenced by Blanding.
        "The Vagabond's House in Carmel and the Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono> There
        may be others who have looked to DB for inspiration. The only one I know of
        is the Vagabond's House.
        Then there are restaurants like Hula Moons with Outrigger and I think they
        may have several others at properties on the other Islands.
        If you feel you want to pitch an article to some of the Hawaiian
        Publications, (Hawaii Magazine, Honolulu Magazine, Inflight for Aloha and
        Hawaiian) let me know and I will get you the names to send them too.

        aloha
        Tom

      • MauiBandB@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
          Oops
          I forgot the Tahitian Lanai where Blanding camped often and I believe did
          some campy paintings . I know that someone I got books from had breakfast
          with him their often.
          The person who knows about history of Tahitian Lanai is Ron Jacobs. He is a
          writer also so he might enjoy hearing about your project. I don't know his e
          mail. But someone may have it in the group.
          aloha
          Tom

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2003
            I've emailed with Ron Jacobs before. Sometimes he responds, sometimes
            he doesn't. An yes, I'd like some leads into some of the present Hawaiian
            magazines, etc. I am now writing a piece for the Vagabond House Inn on DB.
            It will sit in their front lobby for all to read as they wait to sign in or
            have sherry at 4pm, etc. The Vagabond House Inn now has a small wall display
            of DB's, that I donated to them. The beautiful Carmel poem and color print,
            a Hawaiian Flowers blue plate, a photo of DB holding the Vagabond House book
            (25th edition I think) and a few other odds and ends that might interest
            people are now hanging up. I did orient the verbage to Carmel of course. I
            am also doing a few other things that will shortly lead into a publication
            about DB and Carmel. Lots of excitement in Carmel about this. They really
            love DB there. I am now involved in persuading the right people in Carmel to
            have DB declared as an official Poet Laureate of Carmel by the City Council.
            I haven't got to far yet, but there is interest in doing this....wouldn't
            that be neat! tj
          • Cadia Los <duchess@speakeasy.org>
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
              Good going, TJ!

              While you're at it, why not propose an annual Don Blanding Day in
              Carmel. Maybe his November 7 birthday or May 1 Lei Day?

              The 1927 S-B microfilms have yielded lots of wonderful stuff.
              Besides the Uncle Don bedtime stories (some published in the S-B),
              there's also an article by DB about his first airplane ride to catch
              a rainbow! He also wrote an extensive review of Clifford Gessler's
              book of poetry, "Kanaka Moon." (CG was the S-B's arts-literature
              editor; the book was illustrated by A.S. McLeod and published by
              Dodd, Mead.)

              As I read, I have no doubt that DB was mentored by a whole who's who
              of writers and artists in Honolulu. His style is unique and by 1927
              he was becoming very well known in Hawaii. "Flowers of the Rainbow"
              was heavily promoted as "the ideal steamer gift" and both Hawaii and
              California promoters were pushing Hawaii as a prime tourist
              destination. Even Alex McLeod and John Kelly -- both on the S-B
              staff -- did not get the newspaper ad space that DB did in 1926-1927!

              I need to read one more microfilm roll by January 8, then I'll find
              time to organize and transcribe.

              One of my New Year's resolutions is to transcribe the 1937 thesis
              about DB. It's only 85 pages; if I do 2 pages a day.... I tried
              OCR on a few pages -- all it does is scramble things and create
              typos! Easier to just sit and type.

              Then there's finishing the series of 1928 articles about Lei
              Day...and the 1953-1957 weekly columns. Just 1 or 2 articles a
              day....

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
                Try��whodaguy@..., for Ron Jacobs.

                Maui Tom,

                Where is the Tahitian Lanai?

              • Michael T Pfeffer
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2003
                  Cadia,
                  Just a crazy thought, but I bet there are a bunch of us who would be willing to transcribe a few pages of the thesis if you copied pages and sent them to us. If we all pitched in and did a handful of pages it would be done pretty quickly and would free you up for other projects. Let me know what you think, I for one can type very quickly and would be happy to work on it.

                  Aloha,
                  Michael Pfeffer

                  ps, no new finds this year, but I did see several Melinda dinner plates that had been stamped with the Leilani backstamp but which had not been colored in (making them similar to maroon HF). They had interesting underglaze writing on them, looked like samples or something, and were dated to August 1953. Couldnt get them as they were too expensive (even for me), but it was interesting to see them and the date of manufacture. . .
[...]

                  ~~Cadia

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 2003
                    I am proposing such special Blanding days in Carmel also. The Carmel
                    Heritage Society has had a change in leadership this year but one of my best
                    supporters went back on to the Board and will help promote with me. She met
                    DB when she was 16 and loves him. The politics of the day will tell the tale
                    on all of this stuff.
                    AS OF 1/6/03 MY EMAIL IS WITH EARTHLINK. THIS EMAIL ADDRESS WILL BE
                    DISCONTINUED ON MONDAY...........TJ
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 5, 2003
                      tj would gladly help with this project. Being retired, I can do a lot and
                      having shoulder surgery, I'm bored stiff, not being able to travel
                      around...so, Cadia, email me, and I'll gladly help.........tj
                    • Cadia Los <duchess@speakeasy.org>
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 7, 2003
                        TJ...

                        Following shoulder surgery, I'm not sure extensive typing is a good
                        idea. But, since you have a copy of the thesis, if you want to start
                        transcribing Chapter 2, let me know. (I'm already working on Chapter
                        1.)

                        Or why not some excerpts from the unpublished DB manuscript?

                        You could transcribe and then e-mail a few pages at a time to me. I
                        have a separate, unpublished e-mail address for such a purpose.
                        (Confirm and I'll provide it.)

                        As with the book reviews, I can then copy and paste into an HTML file
                        and create a webpage for each manuscript.

                        Aren't you also reading Carmel Pine Cone microfilm? If you find some
                        short articles by or about Blanding, you could transcribe those
                        directly into the folder in Files: Publications.

                        ~~Cadia
                      • Cadia Los <duchess@speakeasy.org>
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 7, 2003
                          Michael P...

                          At least a dozen people in this group have copies of the thesis. I
                          guess you joined us after we distributed them. If you'd like to
                          start on Chapter 3 (or Chapter 2 if TJ doesn't want it), then I'd be
                          glad to send you some pages.

                          Please e-mail me directly, with cc to TJ, and we'll get you set up.
                          You're right, splitting the job does make it go faster -- thanks for
                          the offer!

                          ~~C~~
                        • MauiBandB@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 10, 2003
                            Honolulu Editors who might pick up TJ's stories
                            Hi...Happy New Year.
                                Here are some suggestions:

                                HONOLULU magazine - John Heckathorn is the editor
                                Spirit of Aloha (Aloha Airlines in-flight) - Janice Otaguro is the editor
                                Hana Hou! (Hawaiian Airlines in-flight) - Derek Ferrar is the editor