1927 Honolulu Star-Bulletin - Armine von Tempsky

  • Cadia Los <duchess@speakeasy.org>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2002
      I have 2+ more rolls of 1927 Star-Bulletin to read this week. One of
      the interesting bits of information I gleaned about Armine von
      Tempsky is her reaction to the filming of "Hula."

      I'll try to transcribe the articles within the next week or so.

      No mention of DB in connection with the film. Does anyone know if a
      print still exists and where? When did DB first meet Armine? Where?

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2002
        I'm not sure where DB/Armine first met. I know they also were together in
        Taos prior to Carmel. I think Keith had documented this some time ago. I
        have not researched the Taos newspapers yet. There is a connection with
        Armine/DB/Amelia Earhart/George Putnam (DB's publisher) that went from
        business to friendship and then other bigger hotter relationships. My guess
        is that NY is the center of the hub for that info if it exists. It's
        probably more fun to speculate though (smile).....tj
      • MauiBandB@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2002
          Somebody might have Desoto Brown's e mail. He should know.

          aloha
          Tom

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2002
            One of the interesting bits of information I gleaned about Armine von
            Tempsky is her reaction to the filming of "Hula."

            Armine didn�t like the way they did
            �Hula��. to romantic and did not follow the book

            No mention of DB in connection with the film. Does anyone know if a
            print still exists and where?

            I don�t know if a print of �Hula� still
            exists, but there is info about it on the Internet.

            When did DB first meet Armine? Where?

            I'm not sure where DB/Armine first met. I know they also were together in
            Taos prior to Carmel. I think Keith had documented this some time ago. I
            have not researched the Taos newspapers yet. There is a connection with
            Armine/DB/Amelia Earhart/George Putnam (DB's publisher) that went from
            business to friendship and then other bigger hotter relationships. My guess
            is that NY is the center of the hub for that info if it exists. It's
            probably more fun to speculate though (smile).....tj

            I believe they first met in New York at their publishers. The Putnam
            family was involved with the publishing company. George Putnam was DB�s wife,
            Dorothy�s, first husband and Emelia Earhart was his 2nd wife. TJ, didn�t one
            of the article in the Carmel Pine Cone you sent to me, talk about her brother
            Errol and Emelia being pilot friend. George and Emelia were mentioned in the
            Pine Cone, so they were there in the late 30�s and Don had known George from
            his days in Bend Oregon.

            Keith, jump in here and correct me if my memory is wrong.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
              Somebody might have Desoto Brown's e mail. He should know.

              aloha
              Tom

              Tom.

              I sent him Cadia�s note and asked what he knows about Armine�s feelings on
              the subject. Let�s see if he answers.

              Let you all know.

            • Cadia Los <duchess@speakeasy.org>
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
                I have transcribed 3 articles about the 1927 film, "Hula." They were
                published on August 20, September 3 and September 6 and may be found
                in Files: Publications: Honolulu Star-Bulletin: 1927 Articles: Misc.
                Subjects.

                Enjoy!