Down for the count

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2002
      tj will be off line for 1 or 2 weeks. Getting a new computer and giving
      this old one to my brother on Friday. When I get the new one delivered and
      up and running, I will probably have a new email address. Having shoulder
      surgery on Wed, so will be a one armed bandit typist for a while....tj
    • Cadia Los <duchess@speakeasy.org>
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2002
        Hi, TJ....

        Sorry to hear about the upcoming surgery. You might want to add a
        Yahoo or Hotmail address to your profile so you can access the group
        site and receive e-mail on any computer -- library, copy center,
        etc. -- even if you don't have a new ISP yet.

        I've been reading 1927 Star-Bulletin microfilm and have come up with
        some goodies. The December 1926 microfilm also showed up, too, and
        yielded a number of DB illustrations in ads.

        Yesterday I spent 5 hours at the library, and my eyes are sure paying
        for it today! You'll be pleased to know that DB was, indeed, a
        pioneer radio broadcaster. KGHB officially went on the air Saturday,
        October 8, 1927. DB did a 10-minute segment of "selected readings."
        Subsequent broadcasts had him doing a 15-minute "Uncle Don's Bedtime
        Stories" for the kiddies at 7:15 p.m. The Star-Bulletin published
        about 4 of these transcriptions, and they are charming!

        Also on October 8, DB had a short article on seeing a lunar rainbow
        above Tantalus.

        In the summer and fall of 1927, the hot topic was the Dole Derby --
        the trans-Pacific air race from Oakland to Honolulu. Several planes
        went down and were lost at sea. DB's poem "Fliers" was published in
        the S-B on August 17, 1927 in tribute to both the success and the
        tragedy of this history-making event.

        On August 13 appeared an illustration of a "bookplate designed for
        himself by Don Blanding, one of a series of plate[s] projected for
        Honolulu booklovers, which the artist has been working in his new
        studio in the henry may building." Of course...it's the centaur!

        There's also mention of another bit of ephemera to be sought -- a
        small booklet, "The Flying Bat" that DB did for Mrs. Marion Budd's
        Little China gift shop.

        I have also pulled other articles about promoting tourism in Hawaii,
        Frank Moore, Edwin Sawtelle, and the film version of Armine von
        Tempsky's book, "Hula."

        Since the Seattle library system is closed for 8 days due to budget
        cuts, I'll have to finish reading the remaining 2+ reels after
        Christmas. That, I hope, will give me some time to transcribe and
        scan some of the material I've collected in the past 2 months or so.
        That said, my temp service just offered a 6-week, part-time
        assignment which I start tomorrow. Jobs have been very scarce, and
        unemployment checks barely cover the rent, so even part time helps.

        Hope you'll check in again soon. Take care of yourself!

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2002
          Ole tj always hangs in there and will be fine. Of course I just got notice
          from my Library that my Carmel microfiche from 1946-50 just came in and now
          I'm having the surgery. I was hoping to get it prior to surgery but Murphy's
          Law prevails again. I'll have to return it and re-order it again. Thanks
          again.........tj