Hugh Blanding & Family in the Dakota's

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2002
      I had the honor of meeting up with Donna Wendt this afternoon in
      Colorado Springs as she makes her slow trek westward towards her
      eventual home in Hawaii. The very friendly retired-army-nurse-
      vagabond-traveler bought me lunch and we chatted about the
      international cities we've both visited, as well as traded research
      on the Blanding family tree.

      When we got back to my office we sat down on the computer and looked
      up some genealogical data, and together actually found Hugh R.
      Blanding in the 1880 U.S. Census. He was living with the whole family
      in Wahpeton, Dakota Territoty. Hugh was listed as a Civil Engineer,
      and his father, Joseph Blanding, was listed as a Lawyer. The funny
      thing was, Daddy Joseph was a boarder at a hotel down the street and
      not actually living with the rest of the family. Donna suggested he
      might have been ill...or perhaps he and Maria were having a marital
      spat???.

      Does anyone know where Ida Bacon/Kimble might have been in 1880? I'm
      assuming Wabash, Minnesota since Cadia mentioned once that Hugh went
      there from Aberdeen, Dakota Territory in 1881 to claim her hand in
      marriage. I just haven't been able to find her in the 1880 census.

      Also, I still want to find out when Hugh was in Cripple Creek,
      Colorado. He broke both legs in a mining accident there.

      Donna has gotten my Blanding juices flowing again...now to just find
      the time.

      Keith
    • K Cotter
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2002
        Mybe that's why they named it Cripple Creek...hehheh Karen C