Re: [aloha-donblanding] DB and my great grandfather

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2002
      Michael: Yup, very interesting how he turns up everywhere. Now very
      personal for you and the mystery continues. Keep us advised on anything new
      with your Grandfather. I've run across many people who when I mention DB's
      name, get that gleam in their eye and then the story begins.......love
      it!.........tj
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        Michael,

        Sorry about the slow response to this message (one year later) but do you remember
        when your great-grandmother made the entries about Blanding? I'm wondering when
        Don was making plans to do business with William Twigg-Smith.

        Did your grandfather Thurston Twigg-Smith ever have any dealings with Blanding.

        Keith

        --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mpfeffer@p...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > Came across a reference to DB in an unlikely place--my great
        > grandmother's diary. She mentions DB in a number of places as being
        > a friend of my great grandfather (William Twigg-Smith). Twigg-Smith
        > was a photographer and professional landscape painter who lived in
        > Hawaii from 1916 to 1950 when he passed away. Not sure how he knew
        > DB, but the diary mentions that they were thinking about doing
        > business together. Unfortunately, it does not mention what kind of
        > business and I cannot find any record that they actually did
        > something together. Still, it was really great to find a tangible
        > link to DB in my family history. Amazing how he keeps turning up when
        > you least expect it!
        >
        > Hope all is well with all of you,
        > Michael
      • Michael Pfeffer
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          Keith,
          I will research the diary and get back to you. My offhand recollection is that is was during the 20s or 30s but I should be able to nail it down for you.

          I do not believe that DB ever connected with TTS but I can surely ask him.

          Aloha, MTP
          Sorry about the slow response to this message (one year later) but do you remember
          when your great-grandmother made the entries about Blanding? I'm wondering when
          Don was making plans to do business with William Twigg-Smith.

          Did your grandfather Thurston Twigg-Smith ever have any dealings with Blanding.

          Keith

          --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mpfeffer@p...> wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > Came across a reference to DB in an unlikely place--my great
          > grandmother's diary. She mentions DB in a number of places as being
          > a friend of my great grandfather (William Twigg-Smith). Twigg-Smith
          > was a photographer and professional landscape painter who lived in
          > Hawaii from 1916 to 1950 when he passed away. Not sure how he knew
          > DB, but the diary mentions that they were thinking about doing
          > business together. Unfortunately, it does not mention what kind of
          > business and I cannot find any record that they actually did
          > something together. Still, it was really great to find a tangible
          > link to DB in my family history. Amazing how he keeps turning up when
          > you least expect it!
          >
          > Hope all is well with all of you,
          > Michael

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
            Michael,

            I looked in my notes and found at least one occasion where Twigg
            Smith and Don
            Blanding exhibited in the same art show. It sounds like they hung out
            in the same
            arty crowd.

            The exhibition was in January of 1923 and held at Gurrey's Art
            Center, located at the
            former Cunha Saloon. It was titled 'The Young Man's Show' and the
            general focus was
            to allow six of the city's prominent commercial artists a venue to
            display their fine art
            endeavors.

            The entrants were William M. Gillies, Martin R. Aden, Twigg Smith, A.
            S. McLeod, John
            Poole, and of course Don Blanding. Blanding had a portrait of Fanny
            Heaslip Lea's
            daughter, as well as two mythological paintings he was commissioned
            to paint for the
            library; a centaur and a tiger hunt. Twigg Smith had five insect
            renderings that he
            produced for the experiment station of the Hawaii Sugar Planters'
            Association, and
            also contributed one of his famous "Rainbow Houses."

            William Gillies is the person Blanding stayed with for a short time
            in 1931 in Westport,
            Conn. after he left New York City. Martin Aden was a co-worker of
            Don's at the Star-
            Bulletin, who illustrated the program for Tropics Topics. McLeod and
            Poole of course
            also worked at the SB, and contributed drawings for Don's early
            Honolulu books.