DB and my great grandfather

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2002
      Hello all,
      Came across a reference to DB in an unlikely place--my great
      grandmother's diary. She mentions DB in a number of places as being
      a friend of my great grandfather (William Twigg-Smith). Twigg-Smith
      was a photographer and professional landscape painter who lived in
      Hawaii from 1916 to 1950 when he passed away. Not sure how he knew
      DB, but the diary mentions that they were thinking about doing
      business together. Unfortunately, it does not mention what kind of
      business and I cannot find any record that they actually did
      something together. Still, it was really great to find a tangible
      link to DB in my family history. Amazing how he keeps turning up when
      you least expect it!

      Hope all is well with all of you,
      Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2002
        Michael: Yup, very interesting how he turns up everywhere. Now very
        personal for you and the mystery continues. Keep us advised on anything new
        with your Grandfather. I've run across many people who when I mention DB's
        name, get that gleam in their eye and then the story begins.......love
        it!.........tj
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          Michael,

          Sorry about the slow response to this message (one year later) but do you remember
          when your great-grandmother made the entries about Blanding? I'm wondering when
          Don was making plans to do business with William Twigg-Smith.

          Did your grandfather Thurston Twigg-Smith ever have any dealings with Blanding.

          Keith

          --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mpfeffer@p...> wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > Came across a reference to DB in an unlikely place--my great
          > grandmother's diary. She mentions DB in a number of places as being
          > a friend of my great grandfather (William Twigg-Smith). Twigg-Smith
          > was a photographer and professional landscape painter who lived in
          > Hawaii from 1916 to 1950 when he passed away. Not sure how he knew
          > DB, but the diary mentions that they were thinking about doing
          > business together. Unfortunately, it does not mention what kind of
          > business and I cannot find any record that they actually did
          > something together. Still, it was really great to find a tangible
          > link to DB in my family history. Amazing how he keeps turning up when
          > you least expect it!
          >
          > Hope all is well with all of you,
          > Michael
        • Michael Pfeffer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
            Keith,
            I will research the diary and get back to you. My offhand recollection is that is was during the 20s or 30s but I should be able to nail it down for you.

            I do not believe that DB ever connected with TTS but I can surely ask him.

            Aloha, MTP
            Sorry about the slow response to this message (one year later) but do you remember
            when your great-grandmother made the entries about Blanding? I'm wondering when
            Don was making plans to do business with William Twigg-Smith.

            Did your grandfather Thurston Twigg-Smith ever have any dealings with Blanding.

            Keith

            --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mpfeffer@p...> wrote:
            > Hello all,
            > Came across a reference to DB in an unlikely place--my great
            > grandmother's diary. She mentions DB in a number of places as being
            > a friend of my great grandfather (William Twigg-Smith). Twigg-Smith
            > was a photographer and professional landscape painter who lived in
            > Hawaii from 1916 to 1950 when he passed away. Not sure how he knew
            > DB, but the diary mentions that they were thinking about doing
            > business together. Unfortunately, it does not mention what kind of
            > business and I cannot find any record that they actually did
            > something together. Still, it was really great to find a tangible
            > link to DB in my family history. Amazing how he keeps turning up when
            > you least expect it!
            >
            > Hope all is well with all of you,
            > Michael

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
              Michael,

              I looked in my notes and found at least one occasion where Twigg
              Smith and Don
              Blanding exhibited in the same art show. It sounds like they hung out
              in the same
              arty crowd.

              The exhibition was in January of 1923 and held at Gurrey's Art
              Center, located at the
              former Cunha Saloon. It was titled 'The Young Man's Show' and the
              general focus was
              to allow six of the city's prominent commercial artists a venue to
              display their fine art
              endeavors.

              The entrants were William M. Gillies, Martin R. Aden, Twigg Smith, A.
              S. McLeod, John
              Poole, and of course Don Blanding. Blanding had a portrait of Fanny
              Heaslip Lea's
              daughter, as well as two mythological paintings he was commissioned
              to paint for the
              library; a centaur and a tiger hunt. Twigg Smith had five insect
              renderings that he
              produced for the experiment station of the Hawaii Sugar Planters'
              Association, and
              also contributed one of his famous "Rainbow Houses."

              William Gillies is the person Blanding stayed with for a short time
              in 1931 in Westport,
              Conn. after he left New York City. Martin Aden was a co-worker of
              Don's at the Star-
              Bulletin, who illustrated the program for Tropics Topics. McLeod and
              Poole of course
              also worked at the SB, and contributed drawings for Don's early
              Honolulu books.