Don Blanding in Maui

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2002
      Aloha to all,

      Are we still up and running?

      Meet a man from Maui on the internet today. He met Don there when he was in
      grade school. I would like to share what he said:

      I personally know very little about Armine VonTempsky or Don Blanding so can't
      really help there. I have her book "Born in Paradise" and my mother knew her,
      I believe. My folks had a store named Sue's Stationery in Kahului, Maui and
      it had a nice book section. Without looking it up I think we had that store
      from about 1945-1972.
      However while in grade school at Kaunoa School in Spreckelsville, Maui
      (between 1947 and 1954) I met Don Blanding and he taught me a tongue twister
      that I have never forgotten. Hmmm maybe I met Don Blanding at the store but I
      think it was at school. The school is no longer there. Most of the buildings
      have changed but the hugh Monkey Pod trees are still there. Anyway here is
      the tongue twister:

      Betty Botter bought some butter for to make a bit of batter.
      But the butter was so bitter that it made the batter bitter.
      So she bought a bit of better butter for to make the bitter batter better.

      Well I just looked "Betty Botter" up on the Internet and I either I
      have forgotten, or learned it wrong, or he had is own version. I have said it
      this way for years. As usual not all versions are the same on the Internet.
      I think he might have taken this nursery rhyme and tightened it to make it
      into a tongue twister.

      I thought you all might enjoy the tongue twister.