Don Blanding ancestors

  • donwen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2002
      Hello all, especially Cadia, Keith and Curt,
      I'm in the midst of researching Don Blanding's grandparents: Joseph W.
      Blanding and Maria in Lancaster, Grant Co. Wisconsin. I've found that Joseph
      was not only a surveyor, but bought and sold a great deal of Grant County, WI
      real estate beginning in 1845 and ending in 1872 (although he still had one
      piece of land after 1872 that I know of after that). I noted 81 separate
      deeds that either he or his wife, Maria made. He was a witness on a deed in
      Dec 1844 so he was one of the early WIS pioneers. But he seemed to have
      lived in towns rather than farms. He was a Justice of the 'Peace in 1847 for
      Grant Co, WI, even performing marriages.
      In 1856 he was "Assessor" for Patch Grove Township, Grant Co, WI
      1857 - Supervisor from Muscoda Twp, Grant Co, WI
      1861-1868 listed as Grant Co Clerk of Circuit Court - residence -?
      Muscoda, WI
      1862 - Lancaster Village Clerk
      1865-66 - Lancaster Township Clerk
      1867 - Lancaster Village Trustee
      1868 - Lancaster Village President of Officers
      He and his growing family were on the 1850, 1860 and 1870 Census in Grant Co,
      WI.
      I still need to check where the 24th District was where he lived in 1850.
      In the 1860 census he is listed on a sheet titled Waterstown Township,
      Grant Co, WI, but I think it may have been miswritten as it is within the
      numerical pages of Muscoda Twp.
      In the 1870 Census he was in the town of Lancaster.

      His real estate dealings included entire blocks of downtown Lancaster,
      including a lot directly across from the County Courthouse.
      According to an obituary in the Lancaster Herald, "Died -In Lancaster,
      October 15th 1871, of scarlet fever, Sherri [Sheridan-dw], son of J.W. and
      Maria Blanding, aged five years and four months. Tears of the deepest
      sympathy mingled with those of the stricken mother as she laid their darling
      to rest, and our thoughts went home and abroad to the distant Territory [must
      mean Dakota-dw] where are the father and elder brothers [probably James and
      Hugh Ross-dw], as yet unacquainted with their sad loss. --------------"
      So Joe and the boys were in Dakota Territory scouting out their new home?
      According to another "Local News" item in the Lancaster Herald on 11
      Jun 1874: " Mr Hugh R. Blanding, son of J. B. [W-dw] Blanding, formerly of
      this place, has been appointed postmaster at Chahinkpapa, Richland Co,
      Dakota."
      It appears that Joseph W. Blanding knew the high politicians of the
      County, even the first governor as they seem to have bought and sold land
      back and forth. Of course if he were Clerk of the Circuit Court, there would
      be no lack of inside information he could learn. Good training for his son,
      Hugh Ross to become postmaster and then a judge. I noticed one name on some
      of the land deeds of Joseph W. Blanding - Joseph bought from and sold land
      to Hugh R. Colter - who was, in addition to a speculator, an early Clerk of
      Grant Co. Maybe the Blandings named Hugh Ross after him??????
      In the 1860 census the two smallest children of Joseph W. are Mary E.
      age 3 and Morris D. age 1. It looks like Morris didn't make it to the next
      census, and Mary E. could be "Mary Elizabeth" and known on the next census as
      "Libbie"?
      --- Can anyone locate Joseph W. Blanding and the family on the 1880
      Census and send me the listing? I assume they were living in Aberdeen, South
      Dakota?
      ----Cadia, did you ever find out where Hugh Ross Blanding (son of
      Joseph W.) and Ida Kimble were married (I'm assuming it was at Chester Twp,
      Wabasha Co., MN?" in Oct 881.
      I'll be heading to South Dakota in my Vagabond Van to check out the
      next Blanding generation in a few weeks (after Wis and Minn).
      Aloha, Donna Wendt donwen@...
      Travel Journal = www.fayettevillemall.com/vagabond

    • Curt Blanding
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2002
        Hi Donna,

        Great work digging in Wisconsin! I checked my files and I don't have any
        info on the 1880 census. In your research, have you found any mention of
        Joseph W.'s parents or Maria's parents? Keith has shared some of that
        information, but it would be nice to find some additional confirmation.
        At 02:21 AM 9/25/2002, you wrote:
        >Hello all, especially Cadia, Keith and Curt,
        > I'm in the midst of researching Don Blanding's grandparents: Joseph W.
        >Blanding and Maria in Lancaster, Grant Co. Wisconsin.
        --- Can anyone locate Joseph W. Blanding and the family on the 1880
        Census and send me the listing? I assume they were living in Aberdeen, South
        Dakota?

        Curt