Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: DB & Genee's

Expand Messages
  • lowry66
    Hope this helps: In the early 1940s, Blanding met fellow artist and poet Edythe Hope Genée. Born Edythe Zimmerman in Farmington, Missouri in 1904, she
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      Hope this helps:
      In the early 1940s, Blanding met fellow artist and poet Edythe Hope
      Genée. Born Edythe Zimmerman in Farmington, Missouri in 1904, she
      married Fred Genée in 1932. She worked as Blanding's
      secretary and
      managed his lecture tours. In 1946 the Genées converted the
      of their Hollywood home into a studio for Blanding. He lived there,
      off and on, for the next ten years. In the 1950s Genée and
      worked for the poetry magazine The American Bard, for which they both
      contributed poems and drawings. Genée became editor of the
      in 1957.
      Following his death in 1957, Genée became one of the trustees of
      Blanding's estate and continued to make his work available for
      publication. She spent four months finishing No Strings on Tomorrow,
      one of the books Blanding was working on when he died. When she
      presented it to Dodd, Mead and Company, Blanding's longtime
      publishers, they declined to release it.
      In the 1960s, following the death of her second husband Lloyd
      Sanderson, Genée shared her home with Dr. Grace Callahan.
      was the associate editor of The American Bard. Edythe Hope Genée
      died May 15, 1976. Callahan inherited her estate, and in 1989
      donated much of it to The Museum of the Great Plains.

      Some of the information is from a deposition she gave 9/27/63 at
      which time Lloyd Sanderson had already passed away. In my notes I
      have the Sept. 1957 edition of "Let's Live" magazine mentioning that
      she had been his secretary/manager for 15 years. If I am remembering
      correctly (and it has been awhile) it was something she had written
      to introduce his column which the magazine was going to continue
      carrying. When I get a chance I will check the archives.

      In a letter to Lucille Henderson date 6/19/46 he talks about Fred
      handling the distribution of his prints. They were framed with about
      an inch and a half mat and a very narrow black frame and sold for
      $1.25. Also, the prints were signed and he would personalize them
      according to the wishes of the buyer.
      "The arrangement for the distributor is this: six prints sell for the
      price of five so that the sixth print belongs to the distributor to
      dispose of. Five prints are $6.15 and the dollar and a quarter for
      the sixth print goes to the distributor.
      Fred makes up an attractive portfolio of the different prints. They
      are ordered by number and name with instructions as to how they are
      to be autographed exactly as in the case of the books. It will be
      necessary to get under way at once if anything is to be done about it
      as we will bot be able to fill orders after middle Sept. up to middle
      November as the Genees and myself will be driving the route of my
      autograph tour up the coast as far as Canada."
      The comment about getting under way is a reference to his offer to
      Lucille to be the Lawton distributor.
      Sorry for such a lengthy post, sort of got away from me...
      Jim W.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.