Nell Martin

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22, 2002
      Uploaded a sketch of Nell Martin into the "friends and family"
      folder of files/photos.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9 6:34 AM
        Hello Keith,

        Suzanne and I made another trip to the LA Library to look for Nell Martin.
        We found her husband Edger L. in 1928-30, as before, but no Mrs. Nell C.
        However, in 1928 there was a Nell (writer) at a different home address 6065
        Carlton Way, LA. than Edger’s home address.

        Had no luck finding DB in the San Francisco Chronicles March rotogravure ’38
        about Hawaii Calls photos. Sorry, but will try again next visit.

        We did great with getting more articles on Armine, 6 new ones.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2006
          Hi all,

          I found out this week that I was mentioned in the acknowledgements
          section of a major book released recently, and at the risk of
          patting myself on the back, I'd like to give you all the details.

          There have been about a half dozen or so biographies written about
          the author Dashiell Hammett over the years. Hammett is of course
          responsible for creating the literary character Sam Spade, a
          detective made famous in Hammett's book The Maltese Falcon, which
          was also made into a movie starring Humphrey Bogart. Sam Spade has
          become over the years the stereotypical private eye...spoofed in
          hundreds of films, television shows and commercials. Hammett also
          wrote the The Thin Man, The Dain Curse, Red Harvest and The Glass
          Key, as well as a number of Hollywood screenplays.

          Hammett was a ladies man, and had affairs with many woman...even
          while he was married. Three of his books were dedicated to important
          women in his life...and one of these books, The Glass Key, was
          dedicated to Nell Martin. None of the Hammett biographers over the
          years have ever been able to find out much about her. She was until
          recently a total mystery.

          Nell first came to my attention about five years ago, while
          researching Don Blanding. One day, I read in a 1935 Blanding
          interview that he had written five short stories with Nell Martin.
          Not knowing who Nell was, I began to investigate her. I found
          mentions of her in the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, the
          Internet Movie Database...and slowly a picture began to develop of
          who she was: the author of eight novels and a few hundred short
          stories, and screenplays for a series of short films and radio
          serials based on her character Maisie Ravier....but nothing else was
          known about her, except that she was the girlfriend of Hammett for a
          few years, and dedicated one of her books to him.

          Over the last several years I have slowly peeled away at the mystery
          surrounding her and discovered almost all the details of her life:
          she was married on a number of occasions, changing her name each
          time (which is why no one else could track her). She also moved
          around a great deal, living in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago,
          San Diego, New York, and a number of places as a child, including
          Colorado Springs and Denver. Through determined detective work (some
          by Bev Leinbach) and dumb luck, I was able to find her in the
          censuses, city directories, and newspapers. I tracked down a living
          stepson (in his eighties) who provided me with enough info to fill
          in more gaps and locate a death certificate, a marriage certificate,
          and several other important documents.

          One of the most accomplished biographers of Hammett is a man named
          Richard Layman, who has authored and edited dozens of books on
          Dashiell. He is an absolute expert on Hammett. I contacted him and
          he was amazed at how much I had learned about Nell, and we exchanged
          info. His latest book is titled DISCOVERING THE MALTESE FALCON AND
          SAM SPADE, which is a resource book for Hammett researchers and
          collectors, of which there are apparently many. In the book he gives
          me the following credit: "Keith Emmons has for the first time
          provided reliable information about the elusive Nell Martin."

          Just one line, but it's kind of neat to know I have made a
          contribution towards the collaborative effort of researching the
          life of one of America's great writers. I'm working on an article
          about Nell which I hope to have published in a national magazine
          sometime this year. I've discovered even more about her, and have
          purposely not revealed these new facts to the Hammett crowd (one
          must always hold some cards under their sleeve, just in case.)

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2006
            With your great detective skills you could make quite
            a living being a consultant to writers......ever think
            about that? When it comes to peeling the onion of
            life you are great. Congrats on the Nell Martin
            mention. Always nice to have in the resume'. By the
            way, send me you snail mail address so I can forward a
            check for your book I bought. tj

            aloha-donblanding@...

            Terms of Service.