Dancing Heart

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
      Tj's DB art piece is called "Dancing Heart". It is in a "A Grand Time
      Living", page 151. Pretty neat original now that I know where it came from.
      The inscription was:

      "For June...a young dancer, in an iron lung for a while..........typical DB
      empathy for young people in dire straits.........

      Dancing Heart wears silken shoes,
      silver moon-threads, gleaming, glancing,
      Dew-hung web on curling fern
      Where the sun-juwels shine and turn,
      Hoarfrost needles, lacing, lancing,
      Dyed with sky-of-April blues
      Dancing Heart wears silken shoes.

      Dancing Heart is silken-shod,
      Floss from meadow milkweed's pod,
      Dancing to a willow whistle,
      Lighter than a windblown thistle.
      Feet of Flesh may slowly plod
      But Dancing Heart is silken shod.

      Don Blanding, 1950 (or thereabouts)

      tj
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2006
        TJ,

        I noticed on a geanealogical website you were looking for the whereabouts of June Yohe.
        June Annabelle Yohe passed away on March 2, 1986 in Hayward, California just 10 days
        short of her 60th birthday. I bet she still has family there. Since Hayward is only about an
        hour from you, you could probably dig up an obituary for her.

        Keith

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2006
          Funny you should come up with that. I appreciate it,
          thanks. I own the original Dancing Heart drawing as
          you know. I just made a copy for my niece who loves
          the art piece. I wrote her a letter "from Don
          Blanding" giving what history we have with the piece.
          Kind of fun to try to write and speak like ole' Don.
          I'm making CD's of my art just in case something
          happens to the originals. I think Karen traced her to
          Alameda but Hayward is just next door. I'll go down
          to the Library and browse the phone books for Hayward
          and Alameda County. Merry Christmas to all.....tj

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2006
            Reply #2 - - - On my original Dancing Heart, is
            inscribed, "for Jean", Aloha Don Blanding, but the
            poem in "A Grand Time Living" pg 151, is dedicated to
            "June" not "Jean". Don't know if they are two
            different people or DB just got mixed up. The writing
            on the fringes of the art piece I found show the name.
            Mrs. L.M. Yohe, probably the mother. More misterys to
            solve....tj