Arthur Lyman & Martin Denny

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2002
      I was just thinking that if Martin Denny is dead, maybe Arthur Lyman is still
      around and also walked with Don Blanding and Arthur ion the Beach at Waikiki.
      Look what I found……Denny is still alive and it was Arthur who died.

      Maybe we can find him after all and I would love to meet with him when on
      Oahu in Oct. Now to find an address and phone number or e-mail address.

      * Arthur Lyman
      *
      * Born 2 February 1936, Kauai, Hawaii
      * Died 24 February 2002, Honolulu, Hawaii
      In 1951, he was hired to play in the bar at the Halekulani Hotel, where Martin
      Denny <http://www.spaceagepop.com/denny.htm> met him in the early 1950s.
      Denny hired him, and the two remained together for the next five years.
      Denny's breakthrough success with his cover of "Quiet Village"
      <http://www.spaceagepop.com/jungsong.htm> paved a path for Lyman as well.
      Shipbuilding magnate and Hawaiian developer Henry J. Kaiser (of Kaiser
      Aluminum and Liberty Ship fame) hired him to replace Denny in his Honolulu
      nightclub. Soon after, Hi Fi Records in Los Angeles capitalized on Liberty's
      success with Denny and hired Lyman as their featured artist.
      Even though the two men were competitors on vinyl, they remained close friends
      until the end. "He had a keen ear for music and a great imagination," Denny
      once remarked,"and I would say that his success and exposure paralleled mine.
      There were debates on who came first, but as far as I'm concerned we did it
      together." After both had ceased to record, Denny and Lyman often appeared
      together at performances on Oahu. And when Lyman entered a hospice as he
      entered the last stages of his fight with throat cancer, "Martin would take
      Arthur out in the sunshine and give a private show," according to a family
      friend.
      He never took his success too seriously, though. He was just as proud of his
      awards for paddling in canoe races. His four marriages left him with little in
      the bank, which is one reason he kept performing until felled by throat
      cancer.
      Lyman's many friends and fans said their final farewell by paddling canoes out
      from Waikiki to scatter his ashes upon the waters of Honolulu Bay. At the
      ceremony, Denny offered a last salute: "You are the true spirit of aloha, and
      may God speed you to your celestial vibes."
      www.spaceagepop.com/lyman.htm <http://www.spaceagepop.com/lyman.htm>

      Martin Denny
      Born 10 April 1911, New York City, New York

      In his career as Exotica's founding father, Denny produces 38 albums and sells
      over 4 million copies. He now lives in Hawaii with a beautiful view of Coco
      Head
      http://www.chaoskitty.com/t_chaos/denny.html

    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2002
        I will ask Rudy Aquino of Denny's whereabouts, also Henry allen will let you
        know.

        aloha
        Maui Tom