Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January - May 1927

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
      Keith,

      I thought you'd like my find! Now, as our super-sleuth, I'm
      counting on you to find the original portrait!

      The microfilm has been returned. My library does not have scanner
      facilities and does not allow microfilm to leave the library. I also
      don't have an attachment on my scanner to scan slides or film.

      However, I do keep careful records as to the page, section and column
      of each article or photo that I copy. At some point, since you have
      the capability to obtain scans of photos from microfilm, you might
      want to order specific S-B dates and do the scans.

      This particular illustration is rather weak, and the contrast between
      the upper and lower portions is high. The gray shadows are the
      result of copying as dark as I could in order to get any detail at
      all.

      So, a new challenge....find that portrait!

      ~~C~~

      P.S. I have a version of this illustration in Webshots in case
      anyone wants a screen saver.

      http://community.webshots.com/user/glassduchess
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
        Cadia,

        I'll do my best. I've found that tracing paintings and illustrations
        from the past is an almost impossible task...they all seem to
        disappear somehow. I'll run your scan by Madge Tennent's
        granddaughter, who happens to live within a few miles of me,
        and see if it rings a bell with her. The other possibility would be
        to see if the Bishop Museum has any record of it...maybe Desoto
        Brown can help.

        Keith
      • duchess017
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
          Beginning March 5, 1927, a series of 6 ads for Wall & Dougherty,
          Ltd., ran in the Saturday Star-Bulletin. I have added the first of
          these ads to Files: Illustrations: Don Blanding.

          This one is titled "The Beauties of the French Court."

          In which book have I seen this illustration?

          Enjoy!

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9, 2002
            This one is titled "The Beauties of the French Court."

            In which book have I seen this illustration?

            Enjoy!

            ~~Cadia

            In �Memory Room�, page 81, there is a similar lady. �The Spirit of
            Hollywood�

            On page 71 is �Kiss of the Fog� which is very similar to the picture Don drew
            of Frank and Billie Jean Akers.