Re: Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January - May 1927

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
      Astounding Cadia!

      And to think it was painted by the great Madge Tennent! We can only
      assume Ida was still alive then. If you still have that microfilm,
      you might consider asking your library if they will let you scan it
      in straight from the film. I did that for a few of the 1922 SB
      Blanding portraits. Used an attachment on my scanner which is made
      for slides and the photos came out brilliant!

      Where on earth has that portrait gone to now do you suppose?

      Keith
    • duchess017
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
        Keith,

        I thought you'd like my find! Now, as our super-sleuth, I'm
        counting on you to find the original portrait!

        The microfilm has been returned. My library does not have scanner
        facilities and does not allow microfilm to leave the library. I also
        don't have an attachment on my scanner to scan slides or film.

        However, I do keep careful records as to the page, section and column
        of each article or photo that I copy. At some point, since you have
        the capability to obtain scans of photos from microfilm, you might
        want to order specific S-B dates and do the scans.

        This particular illustration is rather weak, and the contrast between
        the upper and lower portions is high. The gray shadows are the
        result of copying as dark as I could in order to get any detail at
        all.

        So, a new challenge....find that portrait!

        ~~C~~

        P.S. I have a version of this illustration in Webshots in case
        anyone wants a screen saver.

        http://community.webshots.com/user/glassduchess
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
          Cadia,

          I'll do my best. I've found that tracing paintings and illustrations
          from the past is an almost impossible task...they all seem to
          disappear somehow. I'll run your scan by Madge Tennent's
          granddaughter, who happens to live within a few miles of me,
          and see if it rings a bell with her. The other possibility would be
          to see if the Bishop Museum has any record of it...maybe Desoto
          Brown can help.

          Keith
        • duchess017
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
            Beginning March 5, 1927, a series of 6 ads for Wall & Dougherty,
            Ltd., ran in the Saturday Star-Bulletin. I have added the first of
            these ads to Files: Illustrations: Don Blanding.

            This one is titled "The Beauties of the French Court."

            In which book have I seen this illustration?

            Enjoy!

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 9, 2002
              This one is titled "The Beauties of the French Court."

              In which book have I seen this illustration?

              Enjoy!

              ~~Cadia

              In �Memory Room�, page 81, there is a similar lady. �The Spirit of
              Hollywood�

              On page 71 is �Kiss of the Fog� which is very similar to the picture Don drew
              of Frank and Billie Jean Akers.