Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January - May 1927

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2002
      Hi, all...

      Have just completed reading 6 rolls of microfilm for January 19
      through May 20, 1927. For some reason interlibrary loan skipped over
      the December 11, 1926-January 18, 1927 period; hope that group shows
      up next time.

      Anyway, lots of goodies to share, including a series of 6 ad
      illustrations that DB did for a jeweler -- fanciful ladies
      representing 6 stones from pearl to diamond. I will try to scan
      these in the next few days.

      But, the best came last!

      The May 1927 roll yielded very little, but it was the most
      rewarding. On May 7, the day before Mother's Day, the S-B published
      DB's short poem, "Mother!" Above it . . . .

      A portrait of Mrs. Ida Blanding done by Madge Tennent.

      I about fainted!

      I believe it may be a pastel or a charcoal drawing. Hard to tell.
      The newspaper rendition is rather faint, and the photocopy is not
      particularly good. But I made several copies to bring up as much
      detail as I could, and then scanned the dickens out of one of them.

      Mrs. Blanding had a patrician look -- aquiline nose, lovely deep-set
      blue eyes, a cloud of white hair. The resemblance to DB is quite
      apparent, especially to photos of him as a young man.

      The portrait is in Files: Photos: Friends & Family of DB. The poem
      is in Files: Publications: Honolulu Star-Bulletin: 1927 Articles by
      Don Blanding.

      Enjoy!

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
        Astounding Cadia!

        And to think it was painted by the great Madge Tennent! We can only
        assume Ida was still alive then. If you still have that microfilm,
        you might consider asking your library if they will let you scan it
        in straight from the film. I did that for a few of the 1922 SB
        Blanding portraits. Used an attachment on my scanner which is made
        for slides and the photos came out brilliant!

        Where on earth has that portrait gone to now do you suppose?

        Keith
      • duchess017
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
          Keith,

          I thought you'd like my find! Now, as our super-sleuth, I'm
          counting on you to find the original portrait!

          The microfilm has been returned. My library does not have scanner
          facilities and does not allow microfilm to leave the library. I also
          don't have an attachment on my scanner to scan slides or film.

          However, I do keep careful records as to the page, section and column
          of each article or photo that I copy. At some point, since you have
          the capability to obtain scans of photos from microfilm, you might
          want to order specific S-B dates and do the scans.

          This particular illustration is rather weak, and the contrast between
          the upper and lower portions is high. The gray shadows are the
          result of copying as dark as I could in order to get any detail at
          all.

          So, a new challenge....find that portrait!

          ~~C~~

          P.S. I have a version of this illustration in Webshots in case
          anyone wants a screen saver.

          http://community.webshots.com/user/glassduchess
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
            Cadia,

            I'll do my best. I've found that tracing paintings and illustrations
            from the past is an almost impossible task...they all seem to
            disappear somehow. I'll run your scan by Madge Tennent's
            granddaughter, who happens to live within a few miles of me,
            and see if it rings a bell with her. The other possibility would be
            to see if the Bishop Museum has any record of it...maybe Desoto
            Brown can help.

            Keith
          • duchess017
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2002
              Beginning March 5, 1927, a series of 6 ads for Wall & Dougherty,
              Ltd., ran in the Saturday Star-Bulletin. I have added the first of
              these ads to Files: Illustrations: Don Blanding.

              This one is titled "The Beauties of the French Court."

              In which book have I seen this illustration?

              Enjoy!

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2002
                This one is titled "The Beauties of the French Court."

                In which book have I seen this illustration?

                Enjoy!

                ~~Cadia

                In �Memory Room�, page 81, there is a similar lady. �The Spirit of
                Hollywood�

                On page 71 is �Kiss of the Fog� which is very similar to the picture Don drew
                of Frank and Billie Jean Akers.