Re: Franklyn MacCormack reading

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
      Shad O'....

      First time I've heard Franklyn MacCormack, and I agree he sounds a
      lot like Blanding. MacCormack was a Chicago radio announcer.

      I've parked the link in Bookmarks (Sound Bites) so you can find it
      easily. Thanks Bev and Keith!

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
        Shad O'

        Here's a short bio that came from the same website as the
        recording (www.basichip.com):

        Although he is described as having "America's most beloved
        voice," Franklyn MacCormack's young life did not hold much
        promise for a career in show business.  The shock of an
        automobile accident when he was six brought on aphasia, a
        loss of speech which lasted until he was 13.  From then until his
        19th birthday, he spoke only with a stutter.

        When the condition ended, he joined a touring stage company,
        singing a lusty baritone in Frimi and Romberg musicals.  In
        1932 his troupe came to Chicago where Franklyn fell in love with
        radio, a medium well suited to his dramatic experience and
        golden voice.

        Incredibly, destiny was to see him not only overcome his
        misfortune, but go on to become a well-known personality on
        Chicago's WGN radio, where for almost forty years, he filled the
        air for Chicago's night crowd with a quiet blend of soft music,
        nostalgic poetry and tranquil patter.

        Franklyn MacCormack died the day after suffering a heart attack
        while on the air during his WGN All-Night Showcase in 1971.

        ~Keith