Franklyn MacCormack reading

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2002
      Hey all

      Bev sent me this link which I think you should all hear:

      http://www.basichip.com/franklyn_maccormack/fm009.mp3

      If the link gets split, just copy and paste the entire link into your
      browser.

      Keith
    • BearShado@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
        Geez Keith, what a delightful thing to wake up to this morning.
        Thanks to you and Bev for sharing it. Now, because of the title of your note
        'Franklyn MacCormack Reading', I have to ask you this..... Is that or is that
        NOT the voice of DB? It certainly is the same voice I heard on the CD, and
        the voice I've put with him in my mind ever since getting the CD. Who is/was
        Franklyn MacCormack?

        Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks........ Shad O' in Sarasota

        In a message dated 8/5/02 10:03:49 PM, keith2draw@... writes:

        << Hey all

        Bev sent me this link which I think you should all hear:

        http://www.basichip.com/franklyn_maccormack/fm009.mp3

        Keith >>
      • duchess017
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
          Shad O'....

          First time I've heard Franklyn MacCormack, and I agree he sounds a
          lot like Blanding. MacCormack was a Chicago radio announcer.

          I've parked the link in Bookmarks (Sound Bites) so you can find it
          easily. Thanks Bev and Keith!

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
            Shad O'

            Here's a short bio that came from the same website as the
            recording (www.basichip.com):

            Although he is described as having "America's most beloved
            voice," Franklyn MacCormack's young life did not hold much
            promise for a career in show business.  The shock of an
            automobile accident when he was six brought on aphasia, a
            loss of speech which lasted until he was 13.  From then until his
            19th birthday, he spoke only with a stutter.

            When the condition ended, he joined a touring stage company,
            singing a lusty baritone in Frimi and Romberg musicals.  In
            1932 his troupe came to Chicago where Franklyn fell in love with
            radio, a medium well suited to his dramatic experience and
            golden voice.

            Incredibly, destiny was to see him not only overcome his
            misfortune, but go on to become a well-known personality on
            Chicago's WGN radio, where for almost forty years, he filled the
            air for Chicago's night crowd with a quiet blend of soft music,
            nostalgic poetry and tranquil patter.

            Franklyn MacCormack died the day after suffering a heart attack
            while on the air during his WGN All-Night Showcase in 1971.

            ~Keith