WAMPAS FROLIC

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2002
      Cadia,

      I did make it up to UCLA and found information on the Wampas Frolic but
      nothing about Don Blanding in the 1926 LA Times.
      If my computer stays healthy you will get this.

      The WAMPAS Baby Stars, a yearly selection of 13 promising starlets, was made
      by The Western Association of Motion Picture Advertisers. The chosen lucky
      thirteen were formally introduced at a coming-out party, known as the Frolic,
      an event covered by the media much like today's Academy Award ceremonies

      The 1926 was on Thurs., Feb. 4th at the Shrine Auditorium. “The Frolic
      itself and the program under the direction of Sid Grauman promises to be on of
      the really smart events of the cinema social season”. There were planned
      pre-parties all over LA. All 6400 seats at the Shrine Auditorium were sold
      out and hundreds lined the streets outside to get a look at the arriving
      celebrities.

      The program ran in three sections, each with a master of ceremonies…”Drama,
      Hearts & Mirth”. The Metropolitan Theater orchestra did the overture. The
      Ballet Petite Enfants had 65 children under 8 years performing and this was
      followed by a number by Hal Roach’s “Our Gang” youngsters. THAT DB MENTIONED
      IN THE STAR-BULLETIN.

      They mentioned many famous movie stars of the time performing and a few
      movies being shown. This was followed by a dinner and then a dance with 5
      different bands performing. Quite a big deal.

      I am trying to find out if the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Science
      has a copy of the program that might tell us if Don’s poem “Virgin of Waikiki”
      was read.

      However, something interesting was also on the Fri, review of the Frolic and
      may have something to do with Don’s poem.
      “NEW EDITOR OF WAMPUS APPOINTED”. This is the monthly comic magazine
      published by USC students. It stated that the former editor and his
      associates were called before the welfare committee of the facility and
      requested not to register for the coming semester. The reason given…charges
      of improper articles, pictures and jokes had appeared in the monthly
      publication. I am looking into this and will let you know if this is the
      Wampus that Don’s poem was in. This is also the magazine that Scotty Creager
      contributed and he graduated from USC in 1927.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
        Great stuff Bev!