Re: Microfilm Research

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2002
      Shad O' ...

      Yes, eye strain is a problem; that's why I limit myself to no more
      tha 3 hours at a time. Some of the microfilm is not sharp black and
      white, more like blotchy, muddy gray.

      The film reader is hooked up to a printer, and I get photocopies. If
      possible, I enlarge the material so I can later transcribe it more
      easily. That means more copies for longer articles, but the
      readability is more important than the extra 15 or 30 cents.

      While I was in Kansas City (actually 20 miles southeast of there), I
      found an Office Depot and bought two more binders and some index
      tabs. I've lost count of the number of pages and binders I've
      accumulated just for Blanding material. Once I get the stacks of
      photocopies into better order, I'll continue indexing them in a
      database.

      If you'd like to help locate Blanding-related material in Florida
      newspapers, that would be great. Keith has already done Fort Pierce
      in the early 1940s, but I'm sure there are book reviews and such in
      other papers available on film at your local library.

      Then there's always the Honolulu Advertiser -- which I haven't even
      touched yet. Or almost any newspaper in the U.S. -- wherever
      Blanding traveled for lectures and book signings.