Re: Microfilm Research

  • BearShado@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2002
      Cadia!!

      I knew you were sleuthing, I read what you were doing months ago, but it
      didn't click as to how involved it was, or how fascinating it could be. I
      kinda imagine it can be exhausting as well, from eye strain and perhaps a bit
      of carpal tunnel effort with the treasures you glean. Does the Microfilm
      reader allow you to hook up to the computer and copy and paste these pearls
      of the past, or must you transcribe each letter manually? These Microfilms
      that you are looking at, are they something that have been duplicated just
      for your request, or are there just a few of each of the Honolulu Star
      Bulletin films in existence in the Libraries of Congress? God forbid there
      would be just one!

      I applaud your tenacious quest. The treasure you're finding will go far in
      the world toward remembering this man we've all chosen (been chosen by) to
      venerate and to perpetuate the memory and appreciation for his unique
      creativity.

      You Go Like Gangbusters Girl!

      Thanks...... Shad, O' the ever inquisitive mind
    • duchess017
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 2002
        Shad O' ...

        Yes, eye strain is a problem; that's why I limit myself to no more
        tha 3 hours at a time. Some of the microfilm is not sharp black and
        white, more like blotchy, muddy gray.

        The film reader is hooked up to a printer, and I get photocopies. If
        possible, I enlarge the material so I can later transcribe it more
        easily. That means more copies for longer articles, but the
        readability is more important than the extra 15 or 30 cents.

        While I was in Kansas City (actually 20 miles southeast of there), I
        found an Office Depot and bought two more binders and some index
        tabs. I've lost count of the number of pages and binders I've
        accumulated just for Blanding material. Once I get the stacks of
        photocopies into better order, I'll continue indexing them in a
        database.

        If you'd like to help locate Blanding-related material in Florida
        newspapers, that would be great. Keith has already done Fort Pierce
        in the early 1940s, but I'm sure there are book reviews and such in
        other papers available on film at your local library.

        Then there's always the Honolulu Advertiser -- which I haven't even
        touched yet. Or almost any newspaper in the U.S. -- wherever
        Blanding traveled for lectures and book signings.