Re: James K. Blanding

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 25 7:06 PM
      Hi, Shad O'

      Man, I sure wish I were sitting in Honolulu....

      Interlibrary loan is a free service (microfilm, books, douments,
      etc.) but reference material such as newspaper microfilm cannot be
      checked out. The S-B reels come from the Library of Congress. The
      Seattle library has a half-dozen microfilm readers hooked up to
      printers . . . at 15 cents a page.

      My "continuing order" of S-B microfilm was placed last September 1,
      and it's almost time to put in a new order. If I'm lucky, a fresh
      batch comes in about every 3-4 weeks. The six reels in each batch --
      the max they will allow -- usually take me about 10-14 hours to read,
      usually in 2 or 3-hour sessions over the course of 7-10 days. I try
      to read as quickly as possible so that I can turn them back in and
      set the wheels in motion for the next batch.

      The old Star-Bulletins are not particularly large, but there were at
      least three editions Monday through Saturday. The pre-1929 S-B's are
      not indexed, so I work my way through column by column, page by page,
      edition by edition. Sometimes the best finds are in the last edition!

      The curent batch is January 21 through May 20, 1927. That means they
      skipped December 10, 1926 through January 20, 1927, so I'll need to
      check up on those dates and make sure I get them next time.

      Of particular interest is the opening of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on
      February 1, 1927. And, yes, Don Blanding was right there in the
      thick of it; his illustrations grace several very large ads (hard to
      copy!), he has a bylined article, and I found a small news item that
      bears the initials "D.B."

      By now, I pretty much know what pages will have information I can
      use, and I certainly don't read every single line, but sometimes it's
      hard to stay on track. Reading the 1926-28 newspapers is
      particularly interesting -- so much was going on in the world! Radio
      was in its infancy, as was air travel, and newspapers were the
      lifeblood of the community. For me, it's like traveling back into my
      mother's childhood and seeing the world through her eyes.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 25 7:35 PM
        Cadia,

        I'm having as much fun with the 1923 microfilm. Time travel is a
        reality!

        Don painted a mural for the Royal Hawaiian Hotel shortly after it
        opened...hopefully there will be a mention of that.

        Keith
      • MauiBandB@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 25 10:56 PM
          Cadia
          In 1927 or 1928 was the Junior League Event that he directed and wrote and
          collaborated on several songs including my golden shower girl and Haole Hula.
          Also I believe May 1, 1927 was the first may day lei day celebration.
          What exciting period to revisit.

          aloha
          Maui Tom

        • BearShado@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 26 4:21 AM
            Sheeeesh! You guys are getting me excited here in Sarasota. We've got a
            beautiful library, and I've got some time. This could be another wonderful
            avenue for personal growth you're sharing here. Thanks again friends... Shad
            O' the Big Smile

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 26 10:42 AM
              Maui Tom,

              Do you mean "Hula Moons?" Yes, that was May 1928. The first Lei Day
              was May 1, 1928.