Re: James K. Blanding

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
      >have you found any indication of a "Blanding page" so far?

      No...he wasn't that famous yet in 1923 to have his own column,
      but according to my website's timeline, the Don Blanding page
      started in 1926. I can't remember where I got that tidbit from
      though.

      Keith
    • duchess017
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
        Hi, Keith....

        I've read all but the last 3 weeks of 1926 S-B...no Blanding page of
        any kind, and precious little else. I've also completed most of
        1928 -- the articles about the first Lei Day comprise most of what I
        found.

        So maybe 1927 is the lucky year?

        Off to the library shortly to see what's waiting!

        ~~Cadia
      • duchess017
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
          Hi, Shad O'

          Man, I sure wish I were sitting in Honolulu....

          Interlibrary loan is a free service (microfilm, books, douments,
          etc.) but reference material such as newspaper microfilm cannot be
          checked out. The S-B reels come from the Library of Congress. The
          Seattle library has a half-dozen microfilm readers hooked up to
          printers . . . at 15 cents a page.

          My "continuing order" of S-B microfilm was placed last September 1,
          and it's almost time to put in a new order. If I'm lucky, a fresh
          batch comes in about every 3-4 weeks. The six reels in each batch --
          the max they will allow -- usually take me about 10-14 hours to read,
          usually in 2 or 3-hour sessions over the course of 7-10 days. I try
          to read as quickly as possible so that I can turn them back in and
          set the wheels in motion for the next batch.

          The old Star-Bulletins are not particularly large, but there were at
          least three editions Monday through Saturday. The pre-1929 S-B's are
          not indexed, so I work my way through column by column, page by page,
          edition by edition. Sometimes the best finds are in the last edition!

          The curent batch is January 21 through May 20, 1927. That means they
          skipped December 10, 1926 through January 20, 1927, so I'll need to
          check up on those dates and make sure I get them next time.

          Of particular interest is the opening of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on
          February 1, 1927. And, yes, Don Blanding was right there in the
          thick of it; his illustrations grace several very large ads (hard to
          copy!), he has a bylined article, and I found a small news item that
          bears the initials "D.B."

          By now, I pretty much know what pages will have information I can
          use, and I certainly don't read every single line, but sometimes it's
          hard to stay on track. Reading the 1926-28 newspapers is
          particularly interesting -- so much was going on in the world! Radio
          was in its infancy, as was air travel, and newspapers were the
          lifeblood of the community. For me, it's like traveling back into my
          mother's childhood and seeing the world through her eyes.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
            Cadia,

            I'm having as much fun with the 1923 microfilm. Time travel is a
            reality!

            Don painted a mural for the Royal Hawaiian Hotel shortly after it
            opened...hopefully there will be a mention of that.

            Keith
          • MauiBandB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
              Cadia
              In 1927 or 1928 was the Junior League Event that he directed and wrote and
              collaborated on several songs including my golden shower girl and Haole Hula.
              Also I believe May 1, 1927 was the first may day lei day celebration.
              What exciting period to revisit.

              aloha
              Maui Tom

            • BearShado@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                Sheeeesh! You guys are getting me excited here in Sarasota. We've got a
                beautiful library, and I've got some time. This could be another wonderful
                avenue for personal growth you're sharing here. Thanks again friends... Shad
                O' the Big Smile

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                  Maui Tom,

                  Do you mean "Hula Moons?" Yes, that was May 1928. The first Lei Day
                  was May 1, 1928.