Re: James K. Blanding

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
      Hi, Keith,

      Great...have you found any indication of a "Blanding page" so far?
      There's supposed to be a period of two years that DB did an entire
      S-B page, whether daily or weekly I don't know.

      Today I received word that my next batch of microfilm is at the
      library. Probably December 1926 through early 1927.

      ~~Cadia
    • BearShado@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
        In a message dated 7/24/02 5:09:44 PM, duchess@... writes:

        <<
        Today I received word that my next batch of microfilm is at the
        library. Probably December 1926 through early 1927.

        ~~Cadia >>

        SO, Cadia, You're NOT sitting in Honolulu reading this at the Library? Do
        you have a special projector to read the microfilm, or have you got it some
        way hooked up to your computer to read on the screen? And are you having to
        pay the library to send them to you wherever you are? Are you in Washington
        State and doing all this work now? Curious minds want to know and grow.
        ~~Shad O'~~
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
          >have you found any indication of a "Blanding page" so far?

          No...he wasn't that famous yet in 1923 to have his own column,
          but according to my website's timeline, the Don Blanding page
          started in 1926. I can't remember where I got that tidbit from
          though.

          Keith
        • duchess017
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
            Hi, Keith....

            I've read all but the last 3 weeks of 1926 S-B...no Blanding page of
            any kind, and precious little else. I've also completed most of
            1928 -- the articles about the first Lei Day comprise most of what I
            found.

            So maybe 1927 is the lucky year?

            Off to the library shortly to see what's waiting!

            ~~Cadia
          • duchess017
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
              Hi, Shad O'

              Man, I sure wish I were sitting in Honolulu....

              Interlibrary loan is a free service (microfilm, books, douments,
              etc.) but reference material such as newspaper microfilm cannot be
              checked out. The S-B reels come from the Library of Congress. The
              Seattle library has a half-dozen microfilm readers hooked up to
              printers . . . at 15 cents a page.

              My "continuing order" of S-B microfilm was placed last September 1,
              and it's almost time to put in a new order. If I'm lucky, a fresh
              batch comes in about every 3-4 weeks. The six reels in each batch --
              the max they will allow -- usually take me about 10-14 hours to read,
              usually in 2 or 3-hour sessions over the course of 7-10 days. I try
              to read as quickly as possible so that I can turn them back in and
              set the wheels in motion for the next batch.

              The old Star-Bulletins are not particularly large, but there were at
              least three editions Monday through Saturday. The pre-1929 S-B's are
              not indexed, so I work my way through column by column, page by page,
              edition by edition. Sometimes the best finds are in the last edition!

              The curent batch is January 21 through May 20, 1927. That means they
              skipped December 10, 1926 through January 20, 1927, so I'll need to
              check up on those dates and make sure I get them next time.

              Of particular interest is the opening of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on
              February 1, 1927. And, yes, Don Blanding was right there in the
              thick of it; his illustrations grace several very large ads (hard to
              copy!), he has a bylined article, and I found a small news item that
              bears the initials "D.B."

              By now, I pretty much know what pages will have information I can
              use, and I certainly don't read every single line, but sometimes it's
              hard to stay on track. Reading the 1926-28 newspapers is
              particularly interesting -- so much was going on in the world! Radio
              was in its infancy, as was air travel, and newspapers were the
              lifeblood of the community. For me, it's like traveling back into my
              mother's childhood and seeing the world through her eyes.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                Cadia,

                I'm having as much fun with the 1923 microfilm. Time travel is a
                reality!

                Don painted a mural for the Royal Hawaiian Hotel shortly after it
                opened...hopefully there will be a mention of that.

                Keith
              • MauiBandB@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                  Cadia
                  In 1927 or 1928 was the Junior League Event that he directed and wrote and
                  collaborated on several songs including my golden shower girl and Haole Hula.
                  Also I believe May 1, 1927 was the first may day lei day celebration.
                  What exciting period to revisit.

                  aloha
                  Maui Tom

                • BearShado@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                    Sheeeesh! You guys are getting me excited here in Sarasota. We've got a
                    beautiful library, and I've got some time. This could be another wonderful
                    avenue for personal growth you're sharing here. Thanks again friends... Shad
                    O' the Big Smile

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                      Maui Tom,

                      Do you mean "Hula Moons?" Yes, that was May 1928. The first Lei Day
                      was May 1, 1928.