Re: James K. Blanding

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
      Keith...

      But you said:

      "Just uploaded a photo of Don's brother James K. Blanding from a 1923
      Honolulu Star Bulletin article...."

      that's why I questioned the 1922 date.

      Since I've already posted a brief article (1926) on the sale of
      Frazier to Mellen, I thought it might be nice to have some background
      material on Frazier.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
        My mistake Cadia. I'm currently going through microfilm for the
        1923 Honolulu Bulletin...which is why the year stuck in my head.
        But the Charles R. Frazier article was from a few months ago
        when I was still working on the year 1922.

        I'll see if I can transcribe it this weekend...I'm a terribly slow
        typist.

        I've found an Ajinomoto ad which contains a section of the poem
        'Vagabond's House.' A few other ads which contain poems
        which made it into 'Leaves from a Grass House' and 'Paradise
        Loot.' Its fascinating, as I'm seeing the evolution of a poet right
        before my very eyes.

        One S.B. article humorously referred to Blanding as the poet
        laureate of Ajinomoto.

        Keith
      • duchess017
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
          Hi, Keith,

          Great...have you found any indication of a "Blanding page" so far?
          There's supposed to be a period of two years that DB did an entire
          S-B page, whether daily or weekly I don't know.

          Today I received word that my next batch of microfilm is at the
          library. Probably December 1926 through early 1927.

          ~~Cadia
        • BearShado@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
            In a message dated 7/24/02 5:09:44 PM, duchess@... writes:

            <<
            Today I received word that my next batch of microfilm is at the
            library. Probably December 1926 through early 1927.

            ~~Cadia >>

            SO, Cadia, You're NOT sitting in Honolulu reading this at the Library? Do
            you have a special projector to read the microfilm, or have you got it some
            way hooked up to your computer to read on the screen? And are you having to
            pay the library to send them to you wherever you are? Are you in Washington
            State and doing all this work now? Curious minds want to know and grow.
            ~~Shad O'~~
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
              >have you found any indication of a "Blanding page" so far?

              No...he wasn't that famous yet in 1923 to have his own column,
              but according to my website's timeline, the Don Blanding page
              started in 1926. I can't remember where I got that tidbit from
              though.

              Keith
            • duchess017
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
                Hi, Keith....

                I've read all but the last 3 weeks of 1926 S-B...no Blanding page of
                any kind, and precious little else. I've also completed most of
                1928 -- the articles about the first Lei Day comprise most of what I
                found.

                So maybe 1927 is the lucky year?

                Off to the library shortly to see what's waiting!

                ~~Cadia
              • duchess017
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                  Hi, Shad O'

                  Man, I sure wish I were sitting in Honolulu....

                  Interlibrary loan is a free service (microfilm, books, douments,
                  etc.) but reference material such as newspaper microfilm cannot be
                  checked out. The S-B reels come from the Library of Congress. The
                  Seattle library has a half-dozen microfilm readers hooked up to
                  printers . . . at 15 cents a page.

                  My "continuing order" of S-B microfilm was placed last September 1,
                  and it's almost time to put in a new order. If I'm lucky, a fresh
                  batch comes in about every 3-4 weeks. The six reels in each batch --
                  the max they will allow -- usually take me about 10-14 hours to read,
                  usually in 2 or 3-hour sessions over the course of 7-10 days. I try
                  to read as quickly as possible so that I can turn them back in and
                  set the wheels in motion for the next batch.

                  The old Star-Bulletins are not particularly large, but there were at
                  least three editions Monday through Saturday. The pre-1929 S-B's are
                  not indexed, so I work my way through column by column, page by page,
                  edition by edition. Sometimes the best finds are in the last edition!

                  The curent batch is January 21 through May 20, 1927. That means they
                  skipped December 10, 1926 through January 20, 1927, so I'll need to
                  check up on those dates and make sure I get them next time.

                  Of particular interest is the opening of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on
                  February 1, 1927. And, yes, Don Blanding was right there in the
                  thick of it; his illustrations grace several very large ads (hard to
                  copy!), he has a bylined article, and I found a small news item that
                  bears the initials "D.B."

                  By now, I pretty much know what pages will have information I can
                  use, and I certainly don't read every single line, but sometimes it's
                  hard to stay on track. Reading the 1926-28 newspapers is
                  particularly interesting -- so much was going on in the world! Radio
                  was in its infancy, as was air travel, and newspapers were the
                  lifeblood of the community. For me, it's like traveling back into my
                  mother's childhood and seeing the world through her eyes.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                    Cadia,

                    I'm having as much fun with the 1923 microfilm. Time travel is a
                    reality!

                    Don painted a mural for the Royal Hawaiian Hotel shortly after it
                    opened...hopefully there will be a mention of that.

                    Keith
                  • MauiBandB@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                      Cadia
                      In 1927 or 1928 was the Junior League Event that he directed and wrote and
                      collaborated on several songs including my golden shower girl and Haole Hula.
                      Also I believe May 1, 1927 was the first may day lei day celebration.
                      What exciting period to revisit.

                      aloha
                      Maui Tom

                    • BearShado@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                        Sheeeesh! You guys are getting me excited here in Sarasota. We've got a
                        beautiful library, and I've got some time. This could be another wonderful
                        avenue for personal growth you're sharing here. Thanks again friends... Shad
                        O' the Big Smile

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                          Maui Tom,

                          Do you mean "Hula Moons?" Yes, that was May 1928. The first Lei Day
                          was May 1, 1928.