Re: James K. Blanding

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
      Cadia,

      I have the right date...7/21/22. There is no mention of Don or James
      in the article...just photos of all the employees. I'll try and
      transcribe it though.

      Keith
    • duchess017
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
        Keith...

        But you said:

        "Just uploaded a photo of Don's brother James K. Blanding from a 1923
        Honolulu Star Bulletin article...."

        that's why I questioned the 1922 date.

        Since I've already posted a brief article (1926) on the sale of
        Frazier to Mellen, I thought it might be nice to have some background
        material on Frazier.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
          My mistake Cadia. I'm currently going through microfilm for the
          1923 Honolulu Bulletin...which is why the year stuck in my head.
          But the Charles R. Frazier article was from a few months ago
          when I was still working on the year 1922.

          I'll see if I can transcribe it this weekend...I'm a terribly slow
          typist.

          I've found an Ajinomoto ad which contains a section of the poem
          'Vagabond's House.' A few other ads which contain poems
          which made it into 'Leaves from a Grass House' and 'Paradise
          Loot.' Its fascinating, as I'm seeing the evolution of a poet right
          before my very eyes.

          One S.B. article humorously referred to Blanding as the poet
          laureate of Ajinomoto.

          Keith
        • duchess017
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
            Hi, Keith,

            Great...have you found any indication of a "Blanding page" so far?
            There's supposed to be a period of two years that DB did an entire
            S-B page, whether daily or weekly I don't know.

            Today I received word that my next batch of microfilm is at the
            library. Probably December 1926 through early 1927.

            ~~Cadia
          • BearShado@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
              In a message dated 7/24/02 5:09:44 PM, duchess@... writes:

              <<
              Today I received word that my next batch of microfilm is at the
              library. Probably December 1926 through early 1927.

              ~~Cadia >>

              SO, Cadia, You're NOT sitting in Honolulu reading this at the Library? Do
              you have a special projector to read the microfilm, or have you got it some
              way hooked up to your computer to read on the screen? And are you having to
              pay the library to send them to you wherever you are? Are you in Washington
              State and doing all this work now? Curious minds want to know and grow.
              ~~Shad O'~~
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
                >have you found any indication of a "Blanding page" so far?

                No...he wasn't that famous yet in 1923 to have his own column,
                but according to my website's timeline, the Don Blanding page
                started in 1926. I can't remember where I got that tidbit from
                though.

                Keith
              • duchess017
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
                  Hi, Keith....

                  I've read all but the last 3 weeks of 1926 S-B...no Blanding page of
                  any kind, and precious little else. I've also completed most of
                  1928 -- the articles about the first Lei Day comprise most of what I
                  found.

                  So maybe 1927 is the lucky year?

                  Off to the library shortly to see what's waiting!

                  ~~Cadia
                • duchess017
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                    Hi, Shad O'

                    Man, I sure wish I were sitting in Honolulu....

                    Interlibrary loan is a free service (microfilm, books, douments,
                    etc.) but reference material such as newspaper microfilm cannot be
                    checked out. The S-B reels come from the Library of Congress. The
                    Seattle library has a half-dozen microfilm readers hooked up to
                    printers . . . at 15 cents a page.

                    My "continuing order" of S-B microfilm was placed last September 1,
                    and it's almost time to put in a new order. If I'm lucky, a fresh
                    batch comes in about every 3-4 weeks. The six reels in each batch --
                    the max they will allow -- usually take me about 10-14 hours to read,
                    usually in 2 or 3-hour sessions over the course of 7-10 days. I try
                    to read as quickly as possible so that I can turn them back in and
                    set the wheels in motion for the next batch.

                    The old Star-Bulletins are not particularly large, but there were at
                    least three editions Monday through Saturday. The pre-1929 S-B's are
                    not indexed, so I work my way through column by column, page by page,
                    edition by edition. Sometimes the best finds are in the last edition!

                    The curent batch is January 21 through May 20, 1927. That means they
                    skipped December 10, 1926 through January 20, 1927, so I'll need to
                    check up on those dates and make sure I get them next time.

                    Of particular interest is the opening of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on
                    February 1, 1927. And, yes, Don Blanding was right there in the
                    thick of it; his illustrations grace several very large ads (hard to
                    copy!), he has a bylined article, and I found a small news item that
                    bears the initials "D.B."

                    By now, I pretty much know what pages will have information I can
                    use, and I certainly don't read every single line, but sometimes it's
                    hard to stay on track. Reading the 1926-28 newspapers is
                    particularly interesting -- so much was going on in the world! Radio
                    was in its infancy, as was air travel, and newspapers were the
                    lifeblood of the community. For me, it's like traveling back into my
                    mother's childhood and seeing the world through her eyes.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                      Cadia,

                      I'm having as much fun with the 1923 microfilm. Time travel is a
                      reality!

                      Don painted a mural for the Royal Hawaiian Hotel shortly after it
                      opened...hopefully there will be a mention of that.

                      Keith
                    • MauiBandB@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                        Cadia
                        In 1927 or 1928 was the Junior League Event that he directed and wrote and
                        collaborated on several songs including my golden shower girl and Haole Hula.
                        Also I believe May 1, 1927 was the first may day lei day celebration.
                        What exciting period to revisit.

                        aloha
                        Maui Tom

                      • BearShado@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                          Sheeeesh! You guys are getting me excited here in Sarasota. We've got a
                          beautiful library, and I've got some time. This could be another wonderful
                          avenue for personal growth you're sharing here. Thanks again friends... Shad
                          O' the Big Smile

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                            Maui Tom,

                            Do you mean "Hula Moons?" Yes, that was May 1928. The first Lei Day
                            was May 1, 1928.