James K. Blanding

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 22, 2002
      Just uploaded a photo of Don's brother James K. Blanding from a 1923
      Honolulu Star Bulletin article on the Charles R. Frazier company,
      where James was a checker and librarian. James has the angular looks
      of his father Hugh.

      Location of file:
      Files/Photos/Friends & Family/James K. Blanding

      Keith
    • duchess017
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 23, 2002
        Hi, Keith....

        Great find on the James K. photo. You've indicated a date of
        7/21/22....did you mean 1923? It helps to have the date of
        publication with the photo to document our research. Also, if you'd
        like to transcribe all or part of the article on the Frazier company,
        I can provide a spot for it in Publications.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
          Cadia,

          I have the right date...7/21/22. There is no mention of Don or James
          in the article...just photos of all the employees. I'll try and
          transcribe it though.

          Keith
        • duchess017
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
            Keith...

            But you said:

            "Just uploaded a photo of Don's brother James K. Blanding from a 1923
            Honolulu Star Bulletin article...."

            that's why I questioned the 1922 date.

            Since I've already posted a brief article (1926) on the sale of
            Frazier to Mellen, I thought it might be nice to have some background
            material on Frazier.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
              My mistake Cadia. I'm currently going through microfilm for the
              1923 Honolulu Bulletin...which is why the year stuck in my head.
              But the Charles R. Frazier article was from a few months ago
              when I was still working on the year 1922.

              I'll see if I can transcribe it this weekend...I'm a terribly slow
              typist.

              I've found an Ajinomoto ad which contains a section of the poem
              'Vagabond's House.' A few other ads which contain poems
              which made it into 'Leaves from a Grass House' and 'Paradise
              Loot.' Its fascinating, as I'm seeing the evolution of a poet right
              before my very eyes.

              One S.B. article humorously referred to Blanding as the poet
              laureate of Ajinomoto.

              Keith
            • duchess017
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
                Hi, Keith,

                Great...have you found any indication of a "Blanding page" so far?
                There's supposed to be a period of two years that DB did an entire
                S-B page, whether daily or weekly I don't know.

                Today I received word that my next batch of microfilm is at the
                library. Probably December 1926 through early 1927.

                ~~Cadia
              • BearShado@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
                  In a message dated 7/24/02 5:09:44 PM, duchess@... writes:

                  <<
                  Today I received word that my next batch of microfilm is at the
                  library. Probably December 1926 through early 1927.

                  ~~Cadia >>

                  SO, Cadia, You're NOT sitting in Honolulu reading this at the Library? Do
                  you have a special projector to read the microfilm, or have you got it some
                  way hooked up to your computer to read on the screen? And are you having to
                  pay the library to send them to you wherever you are? Are you in Washington
                  State and doing all this work now? Curious minds want to know and grow.
                  ~~Shad O'~~
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
                    >have you found any indication of a "Blanding page" so far?

                    No...he wasn't that famous yet in 1923 to have his own column,
                    but according to my website's timeline, the Don Blanding page
                    started in 1926. I can't remember where I got that tidbit from
                    though.

                    Keith
                  • duchess017
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 24, 2002
                      Hi, Keith....

                      I've read all but the last 3 weeks of 1926 S-B...no Blanding page of
                      any kind, and precious little else. I've also completed most of
                      1928 -- the articles about the first Lei Day comprise most of what I
                      found.

                      So maybe 1927 is the lucky year?

                      Off to the library shortly to see what's waiting!

                      ~~Cadia
                    • duchess017
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                        Hi, Shad O'

                        Man, I sure wish I were sitting in Honolulu....

                        Interlibrary loan is a free service (microfilm, books, douments,
                        etc.) but reference material such as newspaper microfilm cannot be
                        checked out. The S-B reels come from the Library of Congress. The
                        Seattle library has a half-dozen microfilm readers hooked up to
                        printers . . . at 15 cents a page.

                        My "continuing order" of S-B microfilm was placed last September 1,
                        and it's almost time to put in a new order. If I'm lucky, a fresh
                        batch comes in about every 3-4 weeks. The six reels in each batch --
                        the max they will allow -- usually take me about 10-14 hours to read,
                        usually in 2 or 3-hour sessions over the course of 7-10 days. I try
                        to read as quickly as possible so that I can turn them back in and
                        set the wheels in motion for the next batch.

                        The old Star-Bulletins are not particularly large, but there were at
                        least three editions Monday through Saturday. The pre-1929 S-B's are
                        not indexed, so I work my way through column by column, page by page,
                        edition by edition. Sometimes the best finds are in the last edition!

                        The curent batch is January 21 through May 20, 1927. That means they
                        skipped December 10, 1926 through January 20, 1927, so I'll need to
                        check up on those dates and make sure I get them next time.

                        Of particular interest is the opening of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on
                        February 1, 1927. And, yes, Don Blanding was right there in the
                        thick of it; his illustrations grace several very large ads (hard to
                        copy!), he has a bylined article, and I found a small news item that
                        bears the initials "D.B."

                        By now, I pretty much know what pages will have information I can
                        use, and I certainly don't read every single line, but sometimes it's
                        hard to stay on track. Reading the 1926-28 newspapers is
                        particularly interesting -- so much was going on in the world! Radio
                        was in its infancy, as was air travel, and newspapers were the
                        lifeblood of the community. For me, it's like traveling back into my
                        mother's childhood and seeing the world through her eyes.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                          Cadia,

                          I'm having as much fun with the 1923 microfilm. Time travel is a
                          reality!

                          Don painted a mural for the Royal Hawaiian Hotel shortly after it
                          opened...hopefully there will be a mention of that.

                          Keith
                        • MauiBandB@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 25, 2002
                            Cadia
                            In 1927 or 1928 was the Junior League Event that he directed and wrote and
                            collaborated on several songs including my golden shower girl and Haole Hula.
                            Also I believe May 1, 1927 was the first may day lei day celebration.
                            What exciting period to revisit.

                            aloha
                            Maui Tom

                          • BearShado@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                              Sheeeesh! You guys are getting me excited here in Sarasota. We've got a
                              beautiful library, and I've got some time. This could be another wonderful
                              avenue for personal growth you're sharing here. Thanks again friends... Shad
                              O' the Big Smile

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 26, 2002
                                Maui Tom,

                                Do you mean "Hula Moons?" Yes, that was May 1928. The first Lei Day
                                was May 1, 1928.