Small world

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2002
      I just had one of those "it's a small world" coincidences that makes
      research so much fun.

      I got an email today from a part-time bookseller out East who has
      come across a Blanding rarity. It's a hand-made book containing
      printed copys of Blanding's Fort Pierce newspaper columns that he
      wrote from 1941-42. It's inscribed by Blanding to his mother-in-law.
      I'm not sure if it's a one-of-a-kind book, or if he had several made
      up.

      This bookseller asked me where I lived, and I told him Colorado
      Springs. He said he would be in Colorado Springs in early August for
      a bookseller's Conference. I asked him where it was being held, he
      replied that it would be at Colorado College (which is where I work!)
      So we're going to meet in a few weeks and I'll more than likely buy
      the book from him.

      I just think it's great how things come together and seem to work out
      like they were meant to be.

      Keith
    • K Cotter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 17, 2002
        The Blanding homemade scrapbook:

        Wow! Talk about planets aligning!
        Yes, those kind of things are the little jewels that we are given from time
        to time in our collecting. I'm really happy for you. I can imagine your
        anticipation!

        And to think it would be you who made the contact...there's no such thing as
        "coincidence"!

        Thank you, you rat, for the "Manuela Boy" music. Now, I'm not only going
        around half-a....d singing "Manuela Boy, my dear boy..." but now I've got
        the doggone melody spinning around, too! Ha ha! As a matter of fact, I
        decided to just pop "Manuela Boy" into Google and you would be amazed at the
        things that popped up. I signed up with a steel string/slack key quitar
        site which is based stateside but has a lot of Hawaiian posters and they
        have all
        sorts of subjects to click on, from modern to old-time Hawaiian stuff. You
        might like it.

        The posting covering "Manuela Boy" I found was dated 5/12/02 but I posted
        under a new topic as many versions of the song had been posted, and you
        could tell they were contemporary as the lyrics were a little too raunchy
        for the 1920-1930 version! I asked any "golden oldies" there if they knew
        my version and I typed what little I knew.

        I did remember "Sister goes with a malahini boy", not the brother goes with
        a malahini girl. I
        still can't remember what the brother did. Hope someone there will respond.

        Anyway, if you type in Taropatch.net
        you will get the slack key guitar site and in typing in "Manuela Boy" you
        will see a lot of funny lyrics to this old time song which the posters refer
        to as the Hawaiian campfire song! Boy! I love the internet!

        Karen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 17, 2002
          Karen

          You get as carried away as I do on the internet. I'll go online to
          look up say who directed a certain film in 1927...and then I'll go
          off on several tangents until I'm reading about a tiny village in
          Northern Spain or something...knowledge is contagious.

          Well, as a follow-up to the earlier email, my New England bookseller
          emailed me back and is willing to give me the Blanding scrapbook free
          if I pick him up from the airport in Denver. So we will both benefit
          from the exchange ...he'll get his ride...and I'll get a one-of-a-
          kind Blanding treasure...for the price of half a tank of gas.

          Keith
        • K Cotter
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 17, 2002
            Sorry you other Blandingites. I forgot I was on the Yahoo! site. Keith's
            right - one hunt runs into another and here I am - 10 hours later... still
            on the hunt for the older lyrics to a Hawaiian song. Sounds like a super
            deal to me, Keith! K
          • MauiBandB@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 17, 2002
              Brother goes with a Haole girl