Honolulu Star-Bulletin, September-December 1926

  • duchess017
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2002
      Hi, everyone....

      I have added more 1926 material to the Files (Book Reviews,
      Illustrations, Photos, Publications) from the Star-Bulletin.

      Blanding returned to the Islands from Los Angeles on October 2, 1926,
      aboard the steamer Calawaii. One item reports that he had been in
      L.A. for 10 months, so I shall have to research December 1925 to see
      if there's anything about his departure.

      There's a photo of Blanding (wearing a vegetable lei!) on the
      Calawaii, also a couple of illustrations from "Flowers of the
      Rainbow" and a book review.

      Keith, an October 9 article mentions that "David Graham Fisher, Los
      Angeles publisher, is issuing soon 'Vagabond's House,' a 150 page
      revised collection of Blanding's verse . . ." This is in 1926, a
      full two years before Dodd, Mead published the book. Have you ever
      seen a 1926 edition?

      I have just noticed that my copy of "Flowers of the Rainbow"
      (incribed in July 1927) mentions DB as author of "Leaves from a Grass
      House," "Paradise Loot," and "Vagabond's House."

      Still to transcribe is an interesting article about Fanny Heaslip
      Lea, which I shall try to do this week.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 16, 2003
        Cadia,

        Occasionally I go back and review old messages, and I came across this one where
        you cite an article from 1926 mentioning an upcoming printing of Vagabond's House
        by David Graham Fischer of Los Angeles.

        This intrigues me and I'm not sure why I never responded to it before. David Graham
        Fischer is the printer who published a 1926 private printing of The Virgin of Waikiki.

        Somehow I don't think the edition ever got published, because one of us would have
        come across it at some point or other, don't you think?

        I've read that Don tried four different publishers before Dodd, Mead & Co. accepted
        his book for publication...so perhaps the project fell through at the last minute with
        Fischer. If there is a rare early edition of Vag's House I sure would love to know about
        it. As some of you know, the poem Vagabond's House was included in the first edition
        of Leaves From a Grass-House (the Cross-Roads Studios printing) but taken out of all
        later Patten editions. I had always assumed this was done because the poem was
        being saved for a different publication.

        As Cadia noted, the front of Flowers of the Rainbow (1927) mentions DB as author of
        "Leaves from a Grass House," "Paradise Loot," and "Vagabond's House." So there's
        more to this mystery than meets the eye.

        Cadia, did you ever come across another mention of the 1926 printing of Vag's House
        in your microfilm meanderings?

        Keith