[aloha-donblanding] Another curious item

  • Keith Emmons
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2000
      In 1935, Dodd Mead & Co. issued a small 8-page booklet called "Three
      Poems from Memory Room", as an appetizer for the forthcoming book
      'Memory Room.' It was printed on nice rice paper, and came in an
      envelope... I imagine it was sent out to bookstores and individuals on
      their mailing list.

      There is only one copy that I know of in the whole library system, at
      SUNY in Buffalo, NY. Is there anyone who lives in that vicinity? Maybe
      we can get a photocopy of it for our collections.

      * Keith *
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2000
        So Keith, what microscope do you use to find all this info??? The Buffalo
        Library system???? Do you crack safes also??? Again, I'm impressed....
      • Gerald Argetsinger
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2000
          Keith -

          I live about 60 miles from Buffalo. Perhaps I can get over there during
          Spring Break and make the requested photocopy.

          I teach at the Rocheseter Institute of Technology where we have a 1933
          edition "Virgin of Waikiki" in our special holdings. We have the
          preeminent school of printing technology in the nation -- one of their
          special collections is of books with unique bindings. That particular
          book was bound in some kind of Natural fiber (different than the "grass"
          cover on the other volume). I just checked the computer listing, but it
          does not describe the fiber content - I'll have to go over to the
          library and look at it again. I remember that it has a real "Hawaiian
          Island feel" to it.

          Jerry
        • Gerald Argetsinger
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2000
            Actually, TJ, it's not too difficult - enter your local university
            library computer system and go to "First Search." That program gives
            you a computer search of most of the major world libraries! It is very
            tedious, but an invaluable tool for research! Tedious because it
            includes every time a single volume appears. For example, if 758
            libraries had copies of "Vagabond's House" - it would give individual
            listings for all 758. So you have to have time and put on your waders.

            Jerry
          • Keith Emmons
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2000
              Actually Gerald, I use World-Cat, which is even simpler to use than
              that. It sorts all the copies of the same title into one group... then
              lists all the libraries in order... Unless the title varies a little
              (like a misspelling or alternate title.) There is some digging
              involved... you have to do a little detective date sometimes and search
              through fields like Publisher, Publisher Location and Notes. World-Cat
              is great, though... I access it through the college that I work at.
              I'd like to see your printing technology department... I've been
              involved with printing, directly or indirectly for almost twenty years.
              Right now I do desktop publishing on a MAC G-4... working with Quark,
              PageMaker and other Adobe products.
              Keith
            • Gerald Argetsinger
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2000
                Good to know! I'll try World-Cat next time instead of First Search.

                Jerry