Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Need Help Finding.............

  • NELSON W BLACK
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 4:22 PM
      Keith: Who did invent the Mai Tai? I believe Trader Vic in a
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 4:22 PM
        Keith: Who did invent the Mai Tai? I believe Trader Vic in his book from
        the mid-40s gives Don credit....
        Nelson

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1 8:16 PM
          Hi Nelson

          Here's one take on the situation:

          Harry Yee, King of Tropical Cocktails
          by Rick Carroll

          So Who Made The Mai Tai?
          The Mai Tai, bright as a tropical moon, smooth as summer surf, rich
          as old Lurline passengers, is one of Hawaii's favorite tropical
          drinks. One sip and it's paradise. The Mai Tai is Polynesian in
          origin-the word is Tahitian for good-although who exactly created the
          classic drink remains a great mystery.

          The late Vic Bergeron, creator of Trader Vic's restaurants, claimed
          he invented the drink in 1944 in Oakland, California.

          "There's been a lot of conversation over the beginning of the Mai
          Tai. And I want to get the record straight. I originated the Mai Tai.
          Many others have claimed credit. Some claim it originated in Tahiti.
          All this aggravates my ulcer completely. Anyone who says I didn't
          create this drink is a dirty stinker."

          The late Don (Don The Beachcomber) Beach told me that he, not Trader
          Vic, invented the drink at his Hollywood establishment in 1932, but
          named it the QB Cooler after the QB Flight Squadron of World War II.
          Maybe so, but thje QB Cooler never attained legendary status. Since
          both Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic are gone I asked Harry Yee.
          He thinks Trader Vic invented the Mai Tai, and so do I.

          For the complete article:
          http://www.kevdo.com/maitai/harryyee.html

          Keith
        • bucky
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1 8:18 PM
            Thanks Keith.....I guess I was wrong (the book is in the basement awaiting
            final construction of my IKEA bookcases) but I thought Vic conceded to Don.
            Anyway, interesting news.
            I'll think I'll go make myself one. Excuse me....

            Nelson

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1 8:50 PM
              Nelson,

              Anyone could have invented it...we may never know for sure. Bottoms
              up!