[aloha-donblanding] DB

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 17, 2000
      Great going Cadia, this ought to tie together some loose ends with us
      Blanding nuts. I'll be checking in regularly. Thanks.. Tom
    • Tom Markle
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 17, 2000
        I have for some time now, wanted to write about Don Blanding. As I
        gather steam with my research and began discovering what a monumental
        task this is, I have come to appreciate the private nature of DB. It
        seems that little is know about his personal life. I have discovered
        some letters and have recently received some new leads on people who
        knew him. It seems we know him by his books, poetry and his artwork
        but know little of who he really was. There are several of use out
        there doing our own research independent of each other. I would offer
        that some collaborative effort would be more efficient and less time
        consuming for all of us in this quest. Maybe there is some desire to
        be the first one out with a book, which can be understandable. I for
        one, just want to see his life portrayed as it was and think that I may
        have some insights into the man, DB. If anyone out there on Cadia's
        list feels as I do, then lets discuss this venture. I'm open to
        suggestions.
      • William Smith
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 17, 2000
          On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 04:16:39PM -0800, Tom Markle wrote:
          > It seems that little is know about his personal life. I have discovered
          > some letters and have recently received some new leads on people who
          > knew him. ... but know little of who he really was.

          Have you tried the Bishop Museum in Honolulu? A few years ago
          some people from the Bishop showed an old movie from the 1930s
          on Maui. It turns out the movie was written by Blanding and he
          appeared as a passenger on a steamship leaving Honolulu at the
          end of the movie.

          The Bishop people have even been able to identiry the ship. They also
          had some stories about him from his Hawaiian days. In the movie
          he was promoting the "legend" that visitors leaving Hawaii should
          throw their leis into the water from the deck of the ship. If the
          lei returns to shore it means you will return to the islands. We
          learned that Blanding had a lei making business in Waikiki and this
          legend would be great for business.

          The surprise of the evening was the "star" of the movie, who played
          a young Hawaiian girl, was brought to the showing from her home in
          Florida. She's in her 70s now, but was 15 when the movie was made.
          She of course knew Blanding since he wrote the movie and appeared
          in it. I think she said the Blanding and her father were buddies.

          The movie was shown at the Intercontinental Hotel in Maui. That hotel
          is now the Outrigger at Wailea. When it was the Intercontinental
          the poolside restaurant and bar had quite a bit of Blanding memorabelia.
          There are some ukeleles, original design Aloha shirts, drawings,
          old music scores and the like. There's a rumor that the Outrigger
          is going to renovate the hotel, and I wouldn't be surprised if they
          changed up the decor of the bar. Someone might be able to purchase
          some of the things.

          William Smith

          William Smith williams@...
          Maui High Performance Computing Center (808) 879-5077
          550 Lipoa Parkway (808) 879-5018 (fax)
          Kihei, HI 96753 WWW: http://www.mhpcc.edu
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 17, 2000
            Thanks, William, for your very useful input.

            I am aware of several travelog films made about 1934 and narrated by Blanding, of which videotape copies are said to exist. Is the film you mention perhaps one of these?

            ~~Cadia

          • Jakable@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 18, 2000
              I am willing to provide whatever moral and logistical support I can to doing
              a book. In addtion, I am an editor at a newspaper and if you think that
              skill would help, I am willing to pitch in.
              I think the idea of a biography of such a wonderful poet is long overdue.
              Thanks for you message.

              Jake Williams
            • MauiBandB@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 18, 2000
                The travelogues are viewable at the Bishop Museum and also from Steve
                Fredericks in Kailua Hawai'i.

                aloha
                Tom
              • haven putnam
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 23, 2000
                  Tom
                  I started doing research on Don about a year ago, in hopes that he would
                  be a point on which the waring Putnam family could agree, (that being to
                  start a foundation for the arts in his name). Boy was I wrong ! Don was
                  married to my great aunt Dorothy Putnam, and the marriage read like a Marx
                  Brothers movie, Don and his friends being the marx brothers and Dorothy
                  being Mrs. Snoopington. Don was truly a crack-up to be around and had no use
                  for the country club set that Dorothy hung around with. Ultimately Don ends
                  up the Mayor of Ft. Pierce (everyone in town loved the guy except the X and
                  her family who happened to own the bank, newspaper and everything of value
                  in town.) Don found himself out of sorts with the power brokers , not a good
                  position to be in. NOBODY CROSSED DOROTHY AND GOT AWAY WITH IT !!!! The
                  family (G.P.Putnams side) started a smear campaign , that being to expose
                  that Don was the Walt Whitman of the south Seas (if you get my drift). Don
                  never returned to FT. Pierce after the war and any attempts to patch things
                  up fell on deaf ears ! By the way if Don had picked up Walt Whitman
                  tendencies it was due to Dorothy and her kinky rich friends.
                  At any rate I felt it was safer to abandon my research, I got a little
                  to close to family skeletons in the closet and find myself off course with
                  my original intention, that being to break down the misunderstanding between
                  my cousins and my own family members.
                  If you need a publisher let me know, I have been working with Florida
                  Classics (the company that publishes Floridays ) and will put you in touch
                  with them. This story is far more intriguing than I ever could have
                  imagined, I just don't want G.P.s side blaming me for letting the truth be
                  told !!!!1
                  Sincerely
                  Haven (bob) Putnam Jr.

                • TikiRoom18@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000

[...]

                    Bob!
                    What a fantastically gossip-y post! I love it! It does make Don's life
                    seem more real to know that he had these personal difficulties...Are you
                    serious that Don was the MAYOR of a town called Ft. Pierce? This is certainly
                    new to me... I didn't take Don for the political type. How interesting...
                    You mention not wanting to continue your research because of family
                    reasons, well, would you consider sharing your notes with some of our
                    writer-friends here on this mailing list? There is talk of trying to get some
                    sort of biography together. I'm sure your family information will come in
                    handy. Just a thought...
                    And please feel free to continue to share stories here! I thank you for
                    this post, it is certainly intriguing and reveals a little more about the
                    personal side of this most interesting man...

                    Aloha
                    larry
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000
                      I have had more than one email over the last 8 months alluding to the various
                      sexual persuasions of DB. Maybe this is stirred up due to his lack of
                      marriages, etc. I was told that the travelogue movie he did for the Hawaiian
                      Travel Bureau, which is at the Bishop Museum would given hints to his sexual
                      persuasion due to his mannerisms and voice, etc. Not having seen the
                      Travelogue, I don't know what to expect. I don't know how one can make those
                      assumptions based on the Travelogue itself. Anyone out there hear any other
                      gossip? His poem in Jimmy Buffet's newest book is called "The Double Life",
                      what double is he referring to? I have my own interpretation of the poem,
                      but wanted to see if others out there read it as I did........
                    • TikiRoom18@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000

                        << I have had more than one email over the last 8 months alluding to the
                        various
                        sexual persuasions of DB. Maybe this is stirred up due to his lack of
                        marriages, etc. I was told that the travelogue movie he did for the
                        Hawaiian
                        Travel Bureau, which is at the Bishop Museum would given hints to his sexual
                        persuasion due to his mannerisms and voice, etc. Not having seen the
                        Travelogue, I don't know what to expect. I don't know how one can make
                        those
                        assumptions based on the Travelogue itself. >>

                        But even if Don has "various sexual persuasions"... it still doesn't take
                        away from his body of work. Whatever is going around now, "lifestyle"-wise,
                        has always gone on, this is nothing new here.
                        Mannerisms alone are no indication of sexual preference as we all know.
                        They can cause us to suspect someone, but it is not to be held as "proof" of
                        someones sexuality.
                        For various reasons, mainly the stigma that homosexuality/bisexuality
                        seems to have in our culture, if Don was either, you will probably find
                        nothing written to corroborate it. Any evidence would have to anecdotal from
                        living relatives/friends, etc.
                        Then our writers will have to ask themselves if this is something they would
                        want to reveal...lots of questions, and I hear a can of worms being opened
                        here...
                        One thing we all know if we have read many biographies, is that everyone
                        has skeletons in their closets. No one has walked a life that all of society
                        would approve of. Not me, and not you, either... Many times we idealize our
                        heroes and refuse to believe that they, like us, have feet of clay. I guess
                        the biographers task, at times, is to walk a fine line between writing
                        "truth" and writing what becomes an expose.
                        I don't have a tidy way of winding this post up, just some rambling
                        thoughts that have been going through my mind today after reading these
                        fascinating posts... anyone else have their mana'o (opinion) to add?

                        Aloha
                        larry
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000
                          From tjmarkle. My interest in DB is not "outing" or any other political or
                          moral aspects regarding his life. My interest is in DB himself and who he
                          was. An artist is an artist, and I love his work and always have. However,
                          his privacy is "ultra" private and as a man of his times and the era he was
                          in had to influence how he was "presented" to the public. In that so little
                          is known of his actual private life I was going to the assumption that he may
                          have had gay tendencies and this was an ultra hush area. I don't know, I
                          have had many suspicions, but you know, I've been collecting for 30+ years
                          now and I still love the guy.
                        • haven putnam
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000
                            Dear Larry
                            I have to say that in the last year what I unearthed on Don has
                            to a large degree changed my life. Firstly Don was genuinely a wonderful,
                            caring, compassionate person. What amazed me the most was his ability to
                            forgive those who had wronged him , one of those people happened to be my
                            great aunt Dorothy. They had been close friends for over twenty years before
                            they married. Dorothy had just survived an abusive marriage and had suffered
                            both emotional and physical abuse. To this Don in Floridays tells her ( pg
                            10 )" For I would heal old hurts with loveliness, and soothe my eyes with
                            color's bright caress, With sunsets arched behind tall lonely palms."
                            Unfortunately things didn't turn our the way they planned. Don was a merry
                            prankster and Dorothy was the crayon heiress, not the most suitable match,
                            in retrospect. Don it seems had held a torch for her from the first day he
                            met her in Bend OR. He dedicated Vagabond house to her and one of Dorothys
                            acquaintances believed that she was his rowdy duchess. With all that he
                            invested in the relationship you would think he would be bitter when the
                            relationship soured, Don genuinely forgive her and the family that had
                            mistreated him. I don't have time at this moment to go into more details,
                            but I can say that I have been touched by his forgiveness and in turn his
                            love., whatever moral vices he may have had are irrelevant !!!!!
                            Take care: Haven

                          • TikiRoom18@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 24, 2000

                              <<
[...]

                              Haven...
                              What a beautiful post! My only acquaintance with Don has been through his
                              writing. He does strike me as "good people", certainly someone in history
                              that I feel real pain that I was too young to meet. He sounds like he was an
                              excellent conversationalist and could keep people entranced with his
                              story-telling and life history. He also sounds like a guy that would write
                              back to his fans and give back over and above. He sounds like a good person
                              to have as a friend.
                              In his later books I sense a peace-fullness about him. The poems about
                              wandering, the running had slowed down and he seemed to go inward (as every
                              poet must eventually I think...). I can see where a part of this peace was,
                              as you have so generously shared, a settling, at least in his own mind, of
                              relationships he had in the past that perhaps didn't work out as he had
                              wanted them to. A forgiving and a moving on with lessons learned.
                              Haven, thank you again for sharing your insight with our group. This mail
                              list has become first on my list of email I open when I sign on. I think
                              Don's poetry attracts a certain type of person, people who dream and people
                              who are open to life. People who, like Don, have loved and lost, but still
                              smile. People who recognize that we live in a big beautiful world and that
                              one life I truly NOT enough to experience it all, but it doesnt stop us from
                              trying... I thank you all for receiving me into your number...

                              Aloha
                              larry
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
                                I DON'T RECALL IF I SHRED THIS WITH YOU ALL BEFORE OR NOT. IN A PHONE CALL WITH JACK LONDON'S RELATIVE WHO KNEW DON, I ASKED ABOUT DON'S SEXUAL ORIENTATION. HE SAID DON WAS GAY, BUT IN THOSE DAYS NOBODY ON THE LONDON RANCH CARRIED ABOUT IT.

                              • canoeist35
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
                                  --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, Bev Leinbach <bevbach@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > I DON'T RECALL IF I SHRED THIS WITH YOU ALL BEFORE OR NOT. IN A
                                  PHONE CALL WITH JACK LONDON'S RELATIVE WHO KNEW DON, ...

                                  Bev, I wondered about your changing the thread title here until I read
                                  the old thread that it linked. In between my original post
                                  ("Curious") and my slightly peevish postscript of a couple days ago, I
                                  had gone back and read seven months of posts from 2000--but I started
                                  with the peak posting month of February, so I missed the posts from
                                  Dorothy Binney's nephew in January. Thanks.

                                  Michael
                                • canoeist35
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 7, 2007
                                    --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "canoeist35" <canoeist35@...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > had gone back and read seven months of posts from 2000--but I started
                                    > with the peak posting month of February, so I missed the posts from
                                    > Dorothy Binney's nephew in January. Thanks. > Michael

                                    This thread links back to those January 2000 posts, as I hope shows up
                                    in the threading chain that may accompany this. There were two very
                                    interesting posts there from Haven Putnam, who talks of his memories of
                                    Don and also of researching for a possible book. Did he ever return to
                                    this board? Did he ever share more of his own knowledge of DB and
                                    Dorothy? Given the passage of time, his direct connection to DB seems
                                    like a precious source for information. I'm just curious if anyone
                                    stayed in touch with him subsequently, or managed to nail down some of
                                    his memories in a written format? --Michael
                                  • canoeist35
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 16, 2007
                                      No replies to this must mean no, I take it. I emailed Bob Haven Putnam
                                      at the SN he had been using back then, haven't heard anything.
                                      Couldn't find him via google. Still seems a precious link to direct-
                                      contact knowledge of Don. --Michael