[aloha-donblanding] Don Blanding genealogy

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2000
      Hello, all...

      As promised, I have dug through notes to locate genealogical information on Don Blanding. This is in very rough form, extracted from an e-mail I sent in Sept. 1999 to one of the subscribers to this group.

      A Wisconsin genealogy researcher provided the following from the 1890, 1900 and 1910 census data; keep in mind that the ages shown may vary because of the date a particular census was taken or from error. Other discrepancies are noted in brackets [...].

      **********

      1890 OK Territory: Blanding, Hugh R. Born: WI; County of Residence: Kingfisher.

      1900 OK, Garfield Co, Enid Town: Blanding, Hugh R. b Feb.1851 - age 48 Born WI. Birthplace of Father=Penna, Birthplace of Mother=Wisc Ida K. (wife) b. Feb 1855 age 45 yr. No. of children=6, alive=3. [Was one of the non-living children the daughter who died just before she was to marry?] Birthplace =Wisc. Birthplace of Father Wisc; Birthplace of Mother=Vermont Hugh W. (son) b. Oct 1882 age 17 birthplace=S. Dakota James K. (son) b.May 1884 age 16 birthplace=S.Dakota Donald (son) b.Nov 1893 age 6 birthplace=Oklahoma [note discrepancy of year]

      1910 Census--Lawton township; Comanche Co., Oklahoma Blanding, Hugh R. age 56 birthplace=Wisconsin. Father's birthplace= Penn; Mother's birthplace=Penn [note discrepancy with 1900 census]

      Ida K. (wife) age 54 birthplace=Wisconsin, Father's bp=Penn; Mother's bp=Vermont James K. (son) age 26 birthplace Dakota. Father's bp=Wis; Mother's bp=Wis Donald B. (son) age 16 birthplace Oklahoma. Father's bp=Wis; Mother's bp=Wis

      My information regarding Don Blanding's birth year conflicts with the 1900 census. Records show 7 November 1894. The initial "R" stands for Ross; the initial "K" stands for Kimble (mother's maiden name) and "B" stands for Benson. Both Ross and Benson may have been earlier generations' maiden names.

      Don Blanding was a poet-illustrator-vagabond, who first went to Hawaii in 1915 and who originated the Lei Day celebration there in 1928. His first major book of verse was Vagabond's House, published in 1928.

      Note: I have recently been told that Don Blanding first arrived in Hawaii in 1914, not 1915. Either one is possible. The answer may be found when I can determine the date that the play "Bird of Paradise" was being performed in Kansas City. According to notes in Blanding's books, it was that play which inspired him to visit Hawaii.

      I have more information about the Wisconsin Blandings, but it is not immediately at hand. I believe they were in Grant County, WI. Note that Don's eldest brother [Hugh W.] is not shown in the 1910 census.

      **********

      If anyone has more to add, please let us all know!

      ~~Cadia

      duchess@...

    • MauiBandB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2000
        Bill Boyd Outrigger Wailea Hotel should have a copy of his year book at
        Lawton High School which should document his year of graduation. I believe
        it was the same year he left for Hawai'i. I procured it from Blandings
        Friend Northe.

        aloha
        Tom
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 18, 2000
          Great! The more documentation the better. I believe DB graduated
          Lawton in 1912; he then spent some time at the Art Institute of Chicago
          and was on his way back to Oklahoma from there when he saw "Bird of
          Paradise" in KC.

          ~~C~~

          mauiband-@... wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/aloha-donblanding/?start=
          32

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 22, 2000
            Found the notes, made in January 1998, that I forwarded to a correspondent who is a distant relative of Don Blanding; however, I no longer have a current e-mail address for this person.

            ********************

            I received some information from my contact in Wisconsin. It looks like Joseph M Blanding and Maria Blanding were Hugh Ross Blanding's parents, per the Grant County 1850 census. They had 2 children, James and Emma, at that time.

            The appear in Waterstown, Grant Co., in 1860, although Joseph M seems to be recorded as Joseph W. The best information appears in the 1870 census, Lancaster, Grant Co., WI. Here, it appears that James C. as an adult is no longer in the household, and that there were 8 other children including Don Blanding's father, Hugh Ross Blanding. I am including the Polk County references as well, though I don't know what relationship, if any, they may have to the Grant County Blandings.

            The 1860 census has additional Waterstown names that may not belong to the Joseph and Maria household.

            Do you have any information on your own family that would support these names and locations?

            Below is the verbatim e-mail that I received:

            [Joseph & Maria...DB's grandparents?]
            1850 census Grant Co District 24 page 52
            August 20th 1850 Joseph M Blanding 30 Farmer worth $1000 Born PA
            Maria 21 born WI
            James 2 born WI
            Emma 5/12 born WI

            ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

            1860 census index:
            Could not find them in the city or by page number given...seems to be 2 families in separate counties

            Polk Co, St Croix Falls
            CM
            Eliza
            Eliza Anne
            Eugene
            Frank
            John
            Josephine
            May
            Seymour
            William

            Grant Co, Waterstown
            Emma
            Hugh R
            James C
            Jesse M
            Joseph W
            Maria
            Mary E
            Morris D

            ----------------------------------------------------------------------- --------

            1870 Polk Co St Croix

            Amos, Eliza, Eliza, Emma, Eugene, Franklin, Frederick, John
            Mary, Josephine, May, Parley, Mira, Sarah, Seymour, William

            1870 Richland Co, Richwood
            Brazilla, Mary A, Walter

            1870 Oconto Co, Pestigo
            MM

            [Joseph & Maria appear to be Hugh Ross Blanding's parents...DB's grandparents.] 1870 Grant Co, Lancaster

            Joseph 52 Surveyor worth $3000, $500 born PA
            Maria 42 born WI
            Emma 20 born WI
            Hugh 18 born WI
            Jessie (female) 16 born WI
            Libbie 12 born WI
            Walter 10 born WI
            Joseph 8 born WI
            Sheridan 4 born WI
            Frank 2 born WI

            ************************************

            Can anyone offer any further information about these Blandings? Please feel free to dive in here...any genealogists among us?

            ~~Cadia

          • Curt Blanding
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 23, 2000
              I am doing genealogy research on the Blanding family and I
              have information on the Blandings in St. Croix, WI

              Eluna Martin Blanding b. 14 Feb 1800 PA d. 16 Sep 1872 WI
              Eluna was born in Thompson, PA and moved to St. Croix, WI in the 1850s
              married Eliza Tuttle b. 29 Oct 1808 and had nine children
              1 William Martin b. 30 Jan 1829 d. 17 Dec 1901
              1sp Eliza Marie Tuttle b. 17 Jun 1842 and had 5 children before 1870
              11 Seymour b. 13 Apr 1859
              12 Josephine Flavia b. 26 Apr 1863

              13 Tuttle Parley b. 21 Feb 1865
              14 Amos b. 21 Mar 1867
              15 Emma Ruth b. 21 Jul 1869
              16 - nine other children born after 1870

              2 Mary Caroline b. 10 Jan 1831 d. 8 Dec 1848
              3 John Henry b. 8 May 1833 d. 17 Apr 1903
              3sp m. 15 Sep 1866 Sarah E, Worth
              4 Eugene Edward b. 29 Mar 1836 d. 1905
              5 Josephine Eliza b. 19 Jan 1838 d. 5 Jan 1924
              6 Flavia Corger b. 21 Mar 1840 d. 13 Apr 1890
              7 Frank Pratt b. 18 Apr 1849 d. 26 Dec 1924
              8 Mary Caroline b. 16 Apr 1852 d. 22 May 1883
              9 Frederic James b. 21 Oct 1854 d. 30 Jan 1888

              This accounts for all of the names listed in 1870 in Polk Co, WI.

              I beleive that Eluna was an Uncle to DB's grandfather (Joseph)
              but I have not not yet been able to find conclusive evidence of that.
              Eluna had a brother Joseph b. 1793 PA d. 1819 PA and I beleive that it was
              his son Joseph that moved to Wisconsin and married Maria. But, so far, I
              have not been able to find records to establish this. IF this is true,
              then I do have the ancestry from here all the way back to a
              Baron DeBlondin approx. 1480 in France.

              >>1870 Polk Co St Croix
              >>
              >>Amos, Eliza, Eliza, Emma, Eugene, Franklin, Frederick, John
              >>Mary, Josephine, May, Parley, Mira, Sarah, Seymour, William
              >>
              >>1870 Richland Co, Richwood
              >>Brazilla, Mary A, Walter
              >>
              >>1870 Oconto Co, Pestigo
              >>MM
              >>
              >>[Joseph & Maria appear to be Hugh Ross Blanding's parents...DB's
              >>grandparents.] 1870 Grant Co, Lancaster
              >>
              >>Joseph 52 Surveyor worth $3000, $500 born PA
              >>Maria 42 born WI
              >>Emma 20 born WI
              >>Hugh 18 born WI
              >>Jessie (female) 16 born WI
              >>Libbie 12 born WI
              >>Walter 10 born WI
              >>Joseph 8 born WI
              >>Sheridan 4 born WI
              >>Frank 2 born WI

              >>Can anyone offer any further information about these Blandings?
              >>Please feel free to dive in here...any genealogists among us?
              >>
              >>~~Cadia

              Sorry for the rather lengthy message.

              Curt Blanding