Need Help Finding.............

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10 8:05 AM
      Aloha all,

      Billie Jean Creager-Akers family has brought up subjects that I have been
      unable to find information on. Do any of you know????????

      1. Did Don Blanding have anything to do with Don the Beachcombers? Billie
      Jean’s daughter thinks it did and said the teachers on Oahu where she taught
      definitely thought it did.
      Does it still exist on Waikiki?

      2. They say there was a Don Blanding Walk on Waikiki, and I cannot find
      information on it. It was a tourist walk in the late 80’s. The visitor’s
      center can’t find information on it. Anyone know about this?

      3. Billie Jean’s daughter remembers a photo album that the Wheeler Officer
      Wives group had and that they had photos of guest appearances of Don to the
      luncheons. I have been unable to find the album or the group. Wheeler Air
      Force Base is now part of the Army and the only Air Force base is at Hickam.
      Anyone have an in there or can find a women’s group there?

      Need your help with this.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 10 12:28 PM
        Hi Bev,

        I had heard a rumor once that 'Don the Beachcomber' was
        named after Blanding, but according to several websites it was
        in fact named after a person named Don Beach, who founded it.

        Beach is dead now, but for many years he claimed to have
        invented the Mai Tai, which was actually created by someone
        else.

        Keith
      • Michael T Pfeffer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10 12:50 PM
          Keith is right, Don Beach was the founder and a fixture in waikiki for many years. Michael
          I had heard a rumor once that 'Don the Beachcomber' was
          named after Blanding, but according to several websites it was
          in fact named after a person named Don Beach, who founded it.

          Beach is dead now, but for many years he claimed to have
          invented the Mai Tai, which was actually created by someone
          else.

          Keith

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • MauiBandB@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10 9:30 PM
            Keith is correct

            I met Don Beach when I was kid hanging out in the Intl Marketplace where Don
            the Beachcombers and Don Ho's Waikiki Hangout in the 50-60's was.

            aloha
            maui tom

          • NELSON W BLACK
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
              Keith: Who did invent the Mai Tai? I believe Trader Vic in a
              > I had heard a rumor once that 'Don the Beachcomber' was
              > named after Blanding, but according to several websites it was
              > in fact named after a person named Don Beach, who founded it.
              >
              > Beach is dead now, but for many years he claimed to have
              > invented the Mai Tai, which was actually created by someone
              > else.
              >
              > Keith

            • NELSON W BLACK
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
                Keith: Who did invent the Mai Tai? I believe Trader Vic in his book from
                the mid-40s gives Don credit....
                Nelson

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
                  Hi Nelson

                  Here's one take on the situation:

                  Harry Yee, King of Tropical Cocktails
                  by Rick Carroll

                  So Who Made The Mai Tai?
                  The Mai Tai, bright as a tropical moon, smooth as summer surf, rich
                  as old Lurline passengers, is one of Hawaii's favorite tropical
                  drinks. One sip and it's paradise. The Mai Tai is Polynesian in
                  origin-the word is Tahitian for good-although who exactly created the
                  classic drink remains a great mystery.

                  The late Vic Bergeron, creator of Trader Vic's restaurants, claimed
                  he invented the drink in 1944 in Oakland, California.

                  "There's been a lot of conversation over the beginning of the Mai
                  Tai. And I want to get the record straight. I originated the Mai Tai.
                  Many others have claimed credit. Some claim it originated in Tahiti.
                  All this aggravates my ulcer completely. Anyone who says I didn't
                  create this drink is a dirty stinker."

                  The late Don (Don The Beachcomber) Beach told me that he, not Trader
                  Vic, invented the drink at his Hollywood establishment in 1932, but
                  named it the QB Cooler after the QB Flight Squadron of World War II.
                  Maybe so, but thje QB Cooler never attained legendary status. Since
                  both Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic are gone I asked Harry Yee.
                  He thinks Trader Vic invented the Mai Tai, and so do I.

                  For the complete article:
                  http://www.kevdo.com/maitai/harryyee.html

                  Keith
                • bucky
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
                    Thanks Keith.....I guess I was wrong (the book is in the basement awaiting
                    final construction of my IKEA bookcases) but I thought Vic conceded to Don.
                    Anyway, interesting news.
                    I'll think I'll go make myself one. Excuse me....

                    Nelson

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
                      Nelson,

                      Anyone could have invented it...we may never know for sure. Bottoms
                      up!