birth data for Blanding

  • best_gypsy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2002
      ...I've wondered and wondered, and I wonder some more, what the
      chances are that SOMEONE would know the time of day that Don Blanding
      was born. I've drawn an astrological chart for him, but it would be
      much more complete if I could just get the time down right, instead
      of guessing.
    • best_gypsy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2002
        ...does anyone have a birth time for Don Blanding?
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2002
          I don't know the time of Blanding's birth...and in fact I've always
          felt there might be a discrepancy in his birth year as well.

          On at least three occasions the year 1893 has been written for his
          year of birth, instead of 1894. These dates were written on
          official/legal documents, and often entered by Blanding himself.

          I sure would like to see a copy of his birth certificate, if one
          exists.

          Keith
        • best_gypsy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 10, 2002
            --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "keith2draw" <keith2draw@a...> wrote:
            > I don't know the time of Blanding's birth...and in fact I've always
            > felt there might be a discrepancy in his birth year as well.
            >
            > On at least three occasions the year 1893 has been written for his
            > year of birth, instead of 1894. These dates were written on
            > official/legal documents, and often entered by Blanding himself.
            >
            > I sure would like to see a copy of his birth certificate, if one
            > exists.
            >
            > Keith

            .....I have now erected a chart for 1893, also....between the two
            charts, it could be either or....nailing a year down would be good.
            A time of day can be rectified by noting important events in his
            life, including the birth of any children he may have had, provided
            the data pertaining to them is accurate, as well.....at least a year
            of birth. But I continue to be extremely interested in this
            enigmatic character, and shall continue to endeavour to find the
            correct data....by the way, I think this is a great site, and I'll
            keep coming back...is there a fee to join the 'club'?
          • best_gypsy
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 10, 2002
              --- In aloha-donblanding@y..., "keith2draw" <keith2draw@a...> wrote:
              > I don't know the time of Blanding's birth...and in fact I've always
              > felt there might be a discrepancy in his birth year as well.
              >
              > On at least three occasions the year 1893 has been written for his
              > year of birth, instead of 1894. These dates were written on
              > official/legal documents, and often entered by Blanding himself.
              >
              > I sure would like to see a copy of his birth certificate, if one
              > exists.
              >
              > Keith

              .....I have now erected a chart for 1893, also....between the two
              charts, it could be either or....nailing a year down would be good.
              A time of day can be rectified by noting important events in his
              life, including the birth of any children he may have had, provided
              the data pertaining to them is accurate, as well.....at least a year
              of birth. But I continue to be extremely interested in this
              enigmatic character, and shall continue to endeavour to find the
              correct data....by the way, I think this is a great site, and I'll
              keep coming back...is there a fee to join the 'club'?
            • duchess017
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2002
                Hi, Keith....

                How are you doing in the midst of all the Colorado fires? Several
                times, the TV news has mentioned Colorado Springs in connection with
                the fires...hope all is well with you.

                Years ago I contacted the State of Oklahoma and was told that birth
                records prior to statehood (1908) are not in their archives. I
                suppose the best we can hope for is to find early school or church
                records, but territorial records are incomplete and scattered. For
                now, I am accepting 1894 as his birth year. However, I'll do a
                little digging to see if Comanche County or the Oklahoma Historical
                Society can provide some useful information.

                From recent experience, I know that even "official" records can be
                inaccurate. My sister just obtained a transcription of our maternal
                grandfather's birth certificate....which shows a birth date of
                October 23, 1888.

                He was born on September 23.

                Likewise, the death certificates of two aunts show birth dates in
                March 1911; since my father was born in December 1910, that is simply
                not possible! One of his sisters was born in 1906 and the other in
                1908.

                Even names and dates and ages from the census often prove to be
                inaccurate!

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 13, 2002
                  Cadia,

                  Yes...I've discovered many errors myself in census and official
                  documents. I think what I find curious is that I've come across the
                  1893 discrepancy in documents that Blanding filled out himself.

                  I guess it's just my nature to question everything, and not take
                  things for granted.

                  So far Vanessa and I have not been affected by the raging fires
                  nearby. We do have alot of sympathy for those who are losing
                  everything to these hellish conflagrations. There are days the air
                  is quite smoky, and we are of course on water rations, but other
                  than that we're fine.

                  Thanks for asking....Keith