**summary of where we are***

  • Michael T Pfeffer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2002
      Good thoughts Keith,
      I think the combined Hawaii/DB approach would have the best chance of working. He is certainly still remembered here and mention is made every lei day of his contribution so I think it would not be too hard to gain momentum on getting a stamp made.

      On the more practical side of things, I think that we should recap where we are and what a potential set of steps might be for going forward:

      1) We have a very interested group of DB fans who would like to create a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving a representative sample of DB's works for a museum and to promote DB and his legacy to the world; Steps needed (not necessarily in this order, include)
      1a) File to set up a 501c3 non-profit company;
      1b) Elect a board of directors;
      1c) Designate a President, VP, Secretery, and Treasurer;
      1d) Obtain D+O insurance to protect the board members and officers;
      1e) Set up bylaws governing the organization;
      1f) Open bank accounts for the organization;
      1g) Obtain seed funding to get the organization off the ground;

      2) This group is interested in starting an annual conference to honor DB, discuss his works, hear from keynote speakers, and generally to get together and promote DB's legacy. The first of these conferences is tentatively scheduled to occur in mid-2003 at Asilomar, a location near Monterey California.

      3) Once the non-profit is formed, the management team of the non-profit will be charged with, among other duties, securing grant monies to help fund the organization and to potentially provide funding for other DB related activities.

      4) One of the other activities include sponsoring an annual Lei making contest in Hawaii that would mirror a contest that was started by DB many years ago. Cash prizes would be awarded for the top entries and the event would hopefully be aired by the local networks and in the local newspapers.

      5) Another potential sponsorship would be to provided funding for one of the members who has been writing a book on DB's life.

      6) A third area where funds may be needed relates to the development of a dedicated web site honoring DB and also providing a forum for members to interact (to take the place of the yahoo group currently in place).

      I am sure I am missing something, but thought that this might help us codify the process.

      Aloha, Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2002
        Nice outline Michael.

        Two notes:

        1. One of the previously discussed goals of a Blanding non-profit
        organization would be to create an annual scholarship in
        Blanding's name to be awarded to a student who exemplified the
        'aloha spirit.' (did I get this right guys?)

        2. There are already two quite elaborate websites on Don
        Blanding...do we really need a third one? Or would we merge
        them together to make a SUPERSITE?

        Keith
      • Michael T Pfeffer
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2002
          Keith,
          Thanks for the clarification. Also, regarding point 2, I was thinking that it would be better in the long run to try and consolidate sites to help focus the web posting efforts and to help consolidate costs. No need to of course, but thought it might be a way to get something going where we didnt have to subjected to those infernal ads and such. I would think that having a good site would also help give the non-profit more exposure and would help with obtaining money and such. It is always nice to be able to point to a high quality site and say, "see, here is the DB non-profit site and here are a list of students who have received awards and the lei awards and yadda yaddda yadda."

          I am sure that the group has, and I know that we might have, room on a server that could be used to host the site and we could basically donate the time and maintenance as part of a donation to the non-profit. It wouldnt take much to maintain once it was up and running so I am sure we can figure something out.

          Anyway, I was mainly just trying to see if we were all on the same page re the most important steps and points of the discussion.

          Aloha, Michael