Asilomar

  • kittykowkow
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 28, 2002
      Hi Y'all:

      Asilomar would be an absolutely marvelous venue for such a meeting!
      Of course for many of you it would be a long trip but I can guarantee
      it would be a unforgettable experience. Asilomar has been around as
      long as DB for sure. I know it well, have stayed there many times
      in my 64 years. It is in the heart of the famous Monterey Peninsula
      right on the Pacific Ocean midway up the coast of California.

      Besides having fun together, as tj and others involved in the Carmel
      show know, (I was not in this group at that time) there are things to
      do, see and eat for pocketbooks fat and lean, singles, couples,
      kidlets or the childless and aside from our meeting a smorgasboard
      for those interested in history, botany, art, gorgeous scenery and
      the site of the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium. Their jellyfish
      display is worth the trip alone! (live jellyfish, of course)

      Asilomar, if my memory serves me, was started either by the Methodist
      Church around the turn of the century or the YMCA - either way it was
      started as a Christian campground. It has evolved over the century
      since into a State-owned facility but has retained it's early 1900's
      charm. There is a main lodge, fully equipped as tj has stated, and
      many cabins both elegant and modest and I doubt there is a pocketbook
      among us that could not afford the more modest but comfortable
      accomodations set in a lovely cypress forest fronting on the famous
      coastline just a mile or two north of the equally famous 17 Mile
      Drive.

      One has only to walk out the back and a short hike on a wooden
      trail/walk (handicapable, I believe) and you face the land's end of
      the Pacific where the water is always a deep blue and turquoise and
      various critters play in the waves all year long.

      However, flying there is another matter. The airfare to Monterey
      which is served by only two airlines, is a killer. I am fortunate
      enough to be able to go by train to a nearby town and rent a car or
      drive the 360 miles from my house, if I wish. When I absolutely have
      to fly, I go to San Jose, as tj suggested but then one has to rent a
      car and drive to the Monterey Peninsula which is approximately 95
      miles one way; either way becomes a bit pricey.

      However, Asilomar was structured from the beginning just for meetings
      like this and I can guarantee those of us who could accomplish a
      meeting here would be much enriched in so many ways: through meeting
      our friends with a commonality of interests, experiencing the area
      with new friends and old and indeed, if I am not being too maudlin, a
      spiritual and artistic uplift as well. Not to mention some good food
      of every stripe along the way! Carmel by the Sea is a hop away and
      although very touristy, still full of fun things to see and shops to
      peek into and myriad galleries of great and not-so-great but hopeful
      art. Well, I hope I have not scared everyone away with my
      hyperbole but this would surely be the Holy Grail! Karen Cotter
      Karen
    • Michael Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 28, 2002
        TJ and the gang,
        Count us in from Hawaii. Sorry I have been so absent from
        the recent proceedings, not from lack of interest and
        willingness to help, but just super busy with work and
        life. Happy to assist with the non-profit in any way and
        can possibly help with getting some grant money from this
        end as I am involved with a number of non-profits and know
        most of the usual suspects to hit up for money.

        Hope everyone is well, Michael

        On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 19:14:36 EDT
        TJMarkle@... wrote:

        Michael T. Pfeffer
      • Michael Brookman
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 28, 2002
          Just a quickie. I live between Asilomar and San Jose. I will be glad to
          ferry as many as possible between the airport in SJ and the grounds. Of
          course, you'll have to listen to my constant tour guide patter as I brag
          about my wonderful part of The Golden State! michael

> [...]
          > car and drive to the Monterey Peninsula which is approximately 95
          > miles one way; either way becomes a bit pricey.
          >
          > However, Asilomar was structured from the beginning just for meetings
          > like this and I can guarantee those of us who could accomplish a
          > meeting here would be much enriched in so many ways: through meeting
          > our friends with a commonality of interests, experiencing the area
          > with new friends and old and indeed, if I am not being too maudlin, a
          > spiritual and artistic uplift as well. Not to mention some good food
          > of every stripe along the way! Carmel by the Sea is a hop away and
          > although very touristy, still full of fun things to see and shops to
          > peek into and myriad galleries of great and not-so-great but hopeful
          > art. Well, I hope I have not scared everyone away with my
          > hyperbole but this would surely be the Holy Grail! Karen Cotter

        • Michael Brookman
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 28, 2002
            Count me in! I'm fwd my parents, also. michael

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 28, 2002
              TJ

              I think Janice and I would like to come.

              Maui Tom

            • Curt Blanding
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                Hey Michael (Pfeffer that is), what has happened with
                the Don Blanding collection of Jean Lynch? When last
                we heard, it was supposed to get organized around "mid-April".
                Any news?

                Thanks, Curt Blanding
              • devans6360
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                  I've been out of touch due to illness. Opening your note and understanding
                  a conference might be in the works really sounds exciting. When, Where,
                  How, $$$? Please let me know, I'd love to attend... Donnelle
                  > I went into Yahoo and searched Asilomar and it popped up quite
                  nicely.
                  > I have emailed them regarding the costs of 3-4 day Don Blanding conference
                  > for 50-60 of us, starting on Lei Day 2003 (5-1-03). The group rates were
                  $84
                  > per night and that included a full breakfast. For conferences, they have
                  3
                  > meals per day and will have vegitarian or special foods for special diets
                  > available if known in advance. We'll see what it runs for us and then
                  what
                  > we might need to do, when looking at grant requests in the future. We
                  should
                  > probably start getting a head count on those intested in attending, if it
                  > comes to be. I believe the Monterey airport flies commuter type planes in
                  > but I can't swear to it.......anyone know if this is fact??? If not, then
                  > the closest airport is San Jose I know I'm pushing this a bit, but if we
                  > work fast, I believe we can apply for grant monies and who knows, it might
                  > work!!!!!!.........tj

                • Michael T Pfeffer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                    Curt,

                    Sorry for the delay, I ended up moving my corporate offices on April 19th and, needless to say, that threw a huge wrench into the old monkey works (to really mix-up and old saying). Now that we are settled in I can get back to the fun stuff!

                    Jeannie and Mike are doing well. My wife (Lacey) and I did purchase a lot of stuff from them (all pottery), but they still have a lot of pottery and all of their books and letters and other DB memerobilia. I will be talking to them this week to see where they are at with selling the rest of the stuff and will try and come up with a list of stuff for the group to peruse. Lacey and I will be happy to help them pack and ship to any members who buy stuff so that should make it easier. If I can connect with them this week look for a list of stuff by early next week.

                    Aloha,
                    Michael

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                      Michael T Pfeffer... Where are you located? Are you in the Phoenix area?
                      Are Jeannie and Mike? If so I loved to view what Blanding items they no
                      longer wish to keep. Please advise. Thanks Donnelle Evans

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                        Keep monitoring and the future details will emerge. Too early now to take
                        names. Hope you are recovering or recovered! tj
                      • Michael T Pfeffer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                          Donelle,
                          No, we are all in Hawaii. Jeannie and Mike just moved down a bit ago and I was fortunate enough to get "first crack" at a bunch of their pottery. They have a huge collection of DB stuff for sale and I am helping them get it inventoried and ready to sell so will let you know just as soon as I get it done. They have multiple copies of just about every book he ever wrote or illustrated and letters and all kinds of good stuff. Also, they have a lot of Lei Lani and some of the other blanding pottery patterns and such. Anyway, will let the group know when we get a list together.

                          Also, we should look at the really unique stuff they have with an eye towards the eventual museum. I am sure that we can find a way to purchase the items and donate them to the museum at the appropriate time.

                          Much Aloha to all, Michael
                          Michael T Pfeffer... Where are you located? Are you in the Phoenix area?
                          Are Jeannie and Mike? If so I loved to view what Blanding items they no
                          longer wish to keep. Please advise. Thanks Donnelle Evans
                          > Sorry for the delay, I ended up moving my corporate offices on April 19th
                          and, needless to say, that threw a huge wrench into the old monkey works (to
                          really mix-up and old saying). Now that we are settled in I can get back to
                          the fun stuff!

                          > Jeannie and Mike are doing well. My wife (Lacey) and I did purchase a lot
                          of stuff from them (all pottery), but they still have a lot of pottery and
                          all of their books and letters and other DB memerobilia. I will be talking
                          to them this week to see where they are at with selling the rest of the
                          stuff and will try and come up with a list of stuff for the group to peruse.
                          Lacey and I will be happy to help them pack and ship to any members who buy
                          stuff so that should make it easier. If I can connect with them this week
                          look for a list of stuff by early next week.

                          > Aloha,
                          > Michael

                        • duchess017
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                            Hello, everyone...

                            All of this sounds cvery exciting, indeed!

                            Two notes:

                            (1) It's possible to start a non-profit organization without the use
                            of grants. The initial paperwork requires a fairly small filing fee,
                            a statement of purpose, a list of officers and a board of directors.

                            Once formed (and I hope that will be within the next 2 months), then
                            it's time to seek funding -- through memberships, donations and, yes,
                            grants. My goal is to be able to fund acquisitions for a
                            permanent "collection", scholarships and ventures such as publishing,
                            traveling exhibits, etc....

                            (2) If there's to be a conference at Asilomar (or anywhere), please,
                            please don't make it Lei Day 2003. I, for one, intend to be in
                            Hawaii next year on that date. Had my current job not been extended,
                            I would be in Honolulu right now.